Monday, July 21, 2008

TWD: Cherries with a Kick

To tell the truth, I almost skipped this week’s recipe.


First, I was essentially gone all weekend. Saturday I had to drive to Los Angeles to pick up one of my daughter’s friends who was flying in from Fiji and visiting for several days. Sunday I spent the day volunteering for the County Fair. Our Fair starts on July 30th and this past weekend was the time for everyone to bring in their entries. I worked at the Clothing and Textiles table and saw lots of wonderful creations, so I’m looking forward to the Fair where I can see everything displayed. I’m thinking of entering some baked goods actually. The entry day is July 28th, so I have a bit of time yet. But, I digress.


Second, I really dislike rhubarb. I’ve never liked it and I can tell in an instant when it’s been included in a dish. Sorry, but I can’t think of a better way to ruin a strawberry than to mix it with rhubarb. So, I thought I’d take a pass this week, until Laurie mentioned substituting apples. That sounded appealing (no pun intended) so tonight, at the last minute, I made the cobbler.




I have to say that I liked this more than I expected, and actually more than the cobbler we made several weeks ago. I think it’s the crust that makes the difference. I love the little balls of crust, and the ginger in both the filling and the crust gives the cobbler quite a kick. I’ll probably make the berry cobbler again, but using this crust recipe. Because I waited until the last minute, I didn’t use fresh cherries from the farmers market. Instead, I used a 1-pound bag of frozen, pitted cherries from Trader Joe's. They were easy to cut in half while frozen and I only came across one pit. The advantage of this version, using frozen cherries and apples, means this cobbler can be made all year round.




So, thanks to Amanda, of Like Sprinkles on a Cupcake, for a fine choice this week. Please check out the other TWD blogs to see other interpretations of Cherry Rhubarb Cobbler.



13 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Apples and cherries with the ginger sounds wonderful. You'll have to let us know if / what you enter into fair!

Anonymous said...

Apples? In a cobbler. Hmmm. Sounds like it just might be delicious. Glad you ended up making it. I'll have to try that combo out, it really sounds great.

NKP said...

I like the sound of apple/cherry combo - I bet it was wonderful.
Perhaps with a little ice cream...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you ended up makign it! The apple/cherry combo sounds delicious!

Susie Homemaker said...

i think i will try this with the apples after berry season is over - yours looks so great!

kimberly salem said...

glad you found the time for this one. the apples sound great and it looks delicious!

Pamela said...

Mixing apples with the cherries sounds great.

Dolores said...

I agree with you on rhubarb. My father was the exact opposite: strawberries ruined the taste of perfectly good rhubarb. To each his own I guess.

Glad you were able to modify this one to work for you.

Heather B said...

Great job! Your cobbler looks delicious!

Judy said...

Your cobbler looks great. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

Nickki said...

Apples and cherries sound like a great combination. I bet I'd would've liked that a lot better than the nectarines. Oh well, you live and learn I guess :)

CB said...

LOL @ appealing. I heart puns. Glad you liked your cherry-apple cobbler! Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Bungalow Barbara said...

Looks lovely! Rhubarb does seem to be one of those "love it or hate it" foods. Your combo sounds great!