Thursday, July 31, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers Bonus

Or, what is that big lump of white stuff?



Well, my dear, that is rustic Coeur á la Crème, a decadent cheese & cream dessert served with a delicious mixed berry sauce. You like? Why, yes. Yes, I do.




Actually, we both liked it. This is a very simple, but elegant, dessert, and it was chosen this month as a bonus recipe by Becke of Columbus Foodie. I recall making this years ago, and have always wanted to make it again.


My only issue with this particular recipe is textural. I remember, from the earlier experience, that the crème was much firmer, more like a soft, spreadable cheese, while this one basically started to melt after a short time at room temperature. I did observe that no liquid ever drained from this mixture, although the paper towels were soaked. This presents a challenge that I will have to research. Maybe I can remember where I found the earlier recipe and compare the two. I think I used sour cream rather than heavy cream, though.



All that aside, I would highly recommend Coeur á la Crème as an easy and delicious dessert for entertaining. Great choice, Becke, for the bonus.


(For this particular recipe, I halved the ingredients for the cheese/cream part, and quartered the ingredients for the sauce. I mixed some frozen mixed berries, 2 tablespoons sugar, about 2 tablespoons water, plus about 1/4 cup of jam (currant and raspberry) in a small sauce pan, boiled it for several minutes, then strained it. Seemed to work just fine. You could add any alcoholic flavoring of your choice as well after it cools.)

5 comments:

Megan said...

I used sour cream for mine, but only because I didn't have any regular cream. It was AWESOME! Also, no liquid drained off mine - so maybe that's the secret?

Anonymous said...

very nice. i loved, loved, loved this recipe. :)

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to make this for years, and I'm hoping to get around to it now that you Barefoot Bloggers have motivated me!

Stephanie said...

You know, after watching that episode where Ina makes the coeur a la creme, I went to a baking supply store and bought a heart-shaped dish!

I've yet to use it, but there you go...the power of ina.

Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Nothing drained off of mine either, and I let it sit over 24 hours. But it was absolutely delicious!