Thursday, July 24, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers: Smoked Salmon Spread

It’s time, once again, for the semimonthly Barefoot Bloggers event. This round, Ashley, of The Spicy Skillet, selected Smoked Salmon Spread from the Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookbook. While I love fresh salmon, I don’t eat smoked salmon very much, although it is a favorite of my daughter. It took me until today, actually, to find the right kind of salmon for this recipe, but luckily it is a simple and quick recipe to prepare. The salmon was soft, supple, sweet-smelling, and well-minced; the sour cream was light; the lemon was fresh from the tree; and the horseradish sauce provided a nice undertone of flavor.




We sampled the freshly-made spread on crackers with cucumbers on top, and it was very good. After the flavors have time to meld, I bet it will be even more delicious.



I plan to dip a lot of cucumbers in it tomorrow. I shared some with my neighbor, as well, so I’m looking forward to her opinion. This would be a terrific party/potluck dish. Colorful, too, with the pinkish spread surrounded by an assortment of veggies and bagel chips.


[Thursday update: Since my camera battery died mid-shoot last night, I've uploaded a few more photos. My neighbor called this morning -- she'd gone by Noah's Bagels and bought some for me. This spread is really delicious spread on a fresh, sesame-seed bagel, that's for sure!




Also, I minced the salmon the old-fashioned way -- by hand, with my chef's knife in an Iron Chef Morimoto-style fashion (ie. hack the heck out of it!).]


Take a look at the renditions from the other Barefoot Bloggers and see all the variations.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How did you get that lovely shade of pink?? Chopping the salmon in the food processor, maybe? (Mine was just white and chunky.) It looks great with the cucumbers.

Prudy said...

Looks yummy. Glad you liked it. I shy away from smoked salmon. congrats on the award.

Heather B said...

It looks so yummy! Great job!