Tuesday, July 29, 2008

BBD12: Small Breads

There’s been a ton of baking going on here this month. And, while it seems that breads have been put on the back burner recently, I think I remember baking some earlier this month. I wasn’t really procrastinating with this post, since I was hoping to bake one more batch of bread before the end of the month, but, alas, the end is nearly upon me, and there is no more time. So, without further ado, here’s my contribution to this month’s Bread Baking Day (BBD#12), Small Breads, hosted by Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen.





First up were plain white bread dinner rolls. They may be plain, but they are easy and delicious. The recipe is from Peter Reinhart’s Bread Baker’s Apprentice, and it’s one of the few recipes that doesn’t require a 2 to 3 day process. I needed something quick, and this was my choice. I barely had one before they disappeared.




The second offering, also from BBA, is the English Muffin recipe camouflaged as breadsticks. I had to fight for my share, they were that good.






Finally, I got tired of throwing out my toss-off every time I fed my sourdough starter, so I decided to use some for muffins. This recipe comes from Breadchick Mary’s blog and is very versatile. I threw in some dried sour cherries, which complemented the tanginess of the sourdough muffin.




Now, I had a long list of other small breads that I wanted to try, but I truly ran out of time, what with cookies, cakes, pies, ice cream, etc. also on the agenda. I think Aparna’s selection of small breads was wonderful. And, I also thank Zorra for creating one of my favorite monthly events.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's IT? That's all you baked? Are you slacking? ;) (tongue firmly planted in cheek!)

Anonymous said...

I agree, you are such a slacker :) Everything looks great, I think the bread sticks are my favorite if I had to choose.

Michelle said...

WOW...your dinner rolls look absolutely perfectly baked and the shape is so nice.

The breadsticks from an English Muffin recipe is genius and I can't wait to try it.

My poor sd starter needs some work to do and I just might make some of your muffins...great idea!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Not one but three breads! Wow.I've never baked sourdough bread before but am planning to soon.
Thanks for the entries to BBD.

Anonymous said...

I love baking from Peter Reinhart's books. Haven't tried those breadsticks yet, though.

Sunshinemom said...

Liked all the three entries! I really need to get rid of this fear of sourdough starters!