Tuesday, August 16, 2011

TWD: Tropical Crumble

I always forget how much I like mangoes.

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was Tropical Crumble, featuring mangoes and bananas, spiked with ginger and lime, and topped with a butter-rich streusel.




I did choose to reduce the amount of butter in the topping. Clearly, 4 tablespoons was quite enough. I also made it the old-fashioned way, cutting the butter into the sugar-flour mixture, then stirring in the nuts. I was out of pecans, so I used walnuts.



The crumble came out just fine, the streusel topping was crisp and golden, and the whole dish was bubbling away. It did soften up some upon standing, but that didn't affect the flavor.



On the positive side, I loved the cooked mangoes, the bananas were so-so, and I was somewhat dismayed to see pools of butter leaking out from the filling, especially when they congealed. Not particularly appetizing, even for a butter lover.

In the future, I can see a mango-ginger crumble, individual-sized, with a tad less butter in both filling and topping.




This week's hostess was Gaye of Laws of the Kitchen. I probably wouldn't have tried this recipe on my own, so thanks, Gaye, for taking me out of my comfort zone.

Head to Gaye's blog for the recipe, and to the TWD site to read the other bakers' opinions.






7 comments:

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Great looking crumble, Judy - so glad you enjoyed it! :)

Chaya said...

I love mangoes, also and I buy them in groups of nine from Costco.

The minute I saw mangoes in this recipe, I knew we would like it.

Jaime said...

yeah, I do have to say that seeing all that butter made it less appetizing. but it tasted great :)

Cakelaw said...

It sounds like less butter is the key to perfecting this one! I like a crisp topping myself, so I will have to bear that in mind when I make this again. Love the mango photo - I adore mangoes, but they are out of season here (I used canned). Thanks for baking with me!

Nicole said...

I used pineapple instead of banana and my crumble melted into all the liquids of the fruits. It tasted great, so that was all that mattered.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

The pools of butter were a bit distressing, weren't they? Next time I'm halving the butter! I love the mango/ginger plan.

Unknown said...

Your crumble looks great - even with extra butter!