Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bread Baking Day #43: Onion Breads


One month ago I was visiting friends in Reston, Virginia. We took an afternoon drive up to Frederick, Maryland, and stopped at Volt for an afternoon snack.



One of the items we tasted was scallion biscuits. They were tops!

Early the following day, I received a message from Zorra, asking if I would host the August Bread Baking Day. Well, that was an honor indeed. I pondered a theme, then remembered those scallion biscuits, and decided to see what bread bakers would do with onions. I'm looking forward to the roundup in a few days, because there are some scrumptious entries.

Meanwhile, for my entry, I chose a deli rye bread, stuffed with onions. It makes wonderful sandwiches with a sharp cheese and either roast beef or chicken.


First, I caramelized some sliced onions.



Then, I spread them over my rolled-out rye dough.



This was the end result -- a lovely loaf, fragrant with caraway seeds and caramelized onions.




It's been the perfect accompaniment to lunches and dinners, and makes a killer sandwich.


The recipe I used was from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day, by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. You can find the recipe on The Fresh Loaf.


For the Onion Rye, just slice and caramelize one medium onion, then flatten the dough into a half-inch thick oval. Spread the onions over the surface, then roll it like a jelly roll into a log. Proceed with the regular baking procedure.


Keep an eye out for the roundup in the next several days.

When you have a moment, head over to Zorra's website to see all the many tasty themes from previous bread baking days, then feel free to join in over the next few months.









2 comments:

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

This is the 2nd post I've read today that talked about that book... I'd better get my hands on a copy soon!

:)
ButterYum

zorra said...

This loaf meets exactly my taste. Yumm. I love the onion-swirl.