Saturday, May 14, 2011

Daring Cooks: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo


Our May hostess, Denise, of There’s a Newf in My Soup!, challenged The Daring Cooks to make Gumbo! She provided us with all the recipes we’d need, from creole spices, homemade stock, and Louisiana white rice, to Drew’s Chicken & Smoked Sausage Gumbo and Seafood Gumbo from My New Orleans: The Cookbook, by John Besh.


This month's Daring Cook challenge was to make chicken gumbo the old-fashioned way. It took four hours to make the roux alone, but it was very dark and flavorful and well worth the time.


I used chicken thighs and andouille sausage along with the requisite okra, following a recipe I had by Chef Donald Link. I was also finally able to use some filé powder that I had in the pantry.



The gumbo was served over rice and topped with sliced scallions. Half a recipe provided two dinners and two lunches for both of us.



Stop by the Daring Kitchen to see the other gumbos and get the recipe.

4 comments:

Cakelaw said...

This looks delicious Judy! I have never made gumbo before, but this looks tempting.

Audax said...

I love how you can see the okra in the final dish well done.

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I love what you did with this, Judy.

chef_d said...

That looks delicious!