Tuesday, October 26, 2010

TWD: All-American All-Apple Pie


Pies are some of my favorite desserts. Nearly any flavor will do.




This week, Emily, of Sandmuffin, chose Dorie's All-American All-Apple Pie, a most excellent choice.


I used a combination of Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, and Pink Lady apples. Mixed with spices, instant tapioca, lemon zest, and butter, they were fabulously delicious.





Normally, when I make apple pie, I saute the apples beforehand for two reasons: 1. I can use a whole lot more apples because they shrink ahead of time; and 2. the finished pie doesn't have this huge cavern of empty space above the apples. It is completely full of apples.




No matter how it's cooked, though, this pie is absolutely wonderful. If you can make it last a second day, the filling just melds together beautifully and tastes even better than on the first day.

There is one piece left. When I finish writing, I will settle down and enjoy every last crumb. Stop by Emily's blog for the recipe, so you can partake of this pie's apple-y goodness.




To see how the other bakers like this pie, head over to the Tuesdays with Dorie website.

11 comments:

Cakelaw said...

What a beautiful crust! Love the little apple cut-out.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Love the cute little apple cutout. :) I will have to try sauteing the apples some time...

TeaLady said...

Love the little apple cut out on top. So cute.

My apples shrank too. 1/2 apple. 1/2 air pie. But still good.

Pamela said...

Love that apple cut out on the top of your pie. I really liked this one. Had to get out or I could have eaten it all!

Unknown said...

Not to be repetitive, but...love the little apple cutout. And I'll have to try your filling suggestion sometime - the more apples the better!

Flourchild said...

Your pie is looking good! Your crust turned out great!

AmyRuth said...

Nicely done! What a cute vent.
AmyRuth

Mary said...

I am always tempted by those cute little cutters, and now that I've seen your pie, I may just have to buy them. Did you put sugar on top too? Yum. I have tried sauteeing the apples, but I'm too lazy. Sometimes I get the giant air pocket and sometimes I don't, so I guess I'll just have to keep track of when it happens. Hmmm, that's not likely, but it's okay, because apple air tastes pretty good.
:)

Tia said...

i love the coarse sugar on top. i keep meaning to buy some.

Hindy said...

Talk about a picture perfect pie! You've created a masterpiece. And thanks for showing how high the apples can be piled.

Kayte said...

It looks so pretty...love that little apple cut out on the top. The sugar gives it such a fun look, I need to do that more often. Oh, and btw, I ran through that doughnut post REALLY fast so that I would not even be tempted to look at those closely and think, "Maybe I could make these." Nope, best not to even go there!! That said, I didn't run through the photos quite fast enough as they look absolutely delicious!! You are a bad influence!!