Tuesday, October 19, 2010

TWD: Caramel Pumpkin Pie


I must confess that I am a pumpkin pie snob. The only pumpkin pie I really, really enjoy is my own.

When I was growing up, my father made the pies in the family. His specialty was pumpkin pie, and his were dark and spicy.

No one that I know of makes a dark and spicy pumpkin pie. Most pies are too squashy, too pale, too bland. Not mine. Mine are like my dad's.

Typically, I make my pumpkin pie on Halloween. When I bake it this year, I will post the recipe so you can compare.



This week we were tasked to make Dorie's Caramel Pumpkin Pie. The other bakers were raving about it, so I was hopeful that I could add another pie to my repertoire.

The main difference with this pie is that you caramelize sugar until it is dark amber and add that to the pumpkin filling.




Along with some spices and a splash of rum, It makes for a darker pie. However, there is also a touch of bitterness that is not particularly pleasant. I had two other taste testers this time, and they both agreed with that diagnosis.

As good as this pie is, it will not be replacing my favorite recipe.



I might just give this pie another try, except that I will only caramelize the sugar until it is a light to medium amber and leave out the rum, or at least reduce the quantity since it was bit overpowering.



This week's Caramel Pumpkin Pie was chosen by Janell of
Mortensen Family Memoirs. You can find the recipe on Janell's blog, after which you can stop by the Tuesdays with Dorie website and read about the other bakers' reactions.

12 comments:

Cakelaw said...

Your pie looks lovely - it turned out so well. However, sometimes, our favourites are often the best!

Peggy said...

Your pie is beautiful and I am jealous. Was your caramel thick when you finished with it? Mine was runny and I think that is how I messed up. Just trying to get to the bottom of this. :)

Jules Someone said...

Totally agree with you on the bitterness/boozy factor. Maybe cook the sugar less and the rum a bit more. Yours does look lovely.

megan said...

I am the only pumpkin pie lover in the house, so I don't get to enjoy it as often as I'd like.

That said, I can't wait to see your version next week.

Cindy said...

There was a slight bitterness, I didn't use rum so that wasn't an issue. I have eaten 2 pieces so I guess I must like it!
Can't wait to try your favorite recipe. Do you pre bake the crust. My mom made a good pumpkin pie but she didn't pre bake the crust so they were always soggy--but her filling was good. I may combine a few recipes and see what I can come up with.

Tia said...

it certainly was boozy for sure!

Joyti said...

I hate it when people use those pale store-bought pies, so I know what you mean. Your dark and rich pumpkin pie sounds and looks better. I bet the caramel helps even further in adding depth of color and flavor :)

The Mortensens said...

If you do this one again, I would definitely not let the caramel get too dark. I liked the light caramel SOOO much better. I agree with you that it had a bitter and over-powering taste. But looking at yours, it doesn't seem to be that dark. Maybe it was the rum?? I used cider both times, but you could probably even skip it altogether.

Thanks for baking along with me this week!

Mary said...

Mine had a strong rum taste too. Your pie looks pretty, but I'm with you--I usually only eat my own! I think we may have opposite tastes though, as my fave is pale and very creamy rather than dark and spicy. I'll try to post it around Hallowe'en too so we can compare.
:)

Allison said...

Your pie looks lovely, even if it doesn't measure up to your normal recipe. Looking forward to your post about your own recipe.

I've started a new food blogging group that celebrates the printed cookbook. I'd love it if you joined us. Please check it out when you get the chance. www.cookbookloversunite.blogspot.com.

Kayte said...

At least you gave it a fair shot. I want your recipe!! Actually, I don't really like pumpkin, so this was great as it tasted a whole lot like caramel and rum, much better than pumpkin...lol. Yours looks perfect!

Tammy said...

I didnt like that bitter taste either. I cant wait to see your traditional pumpkin pie recipe