Friday, October 8, 2010

FFwD: Gerard's Mustard Tart

The second selection for French Fridays with Dorie was Gerard's Mustard Tart. Basically, it's a crusted tart, filled with a mustard custard, and topped with steamed carrot and leek sticks. Sounds delicious, right?

Well, sadly, it wasn't a hit in our house, even though we love all the components.



My daughter doesn't like cooked carrots. Strike one.



After baking in the oven, the leeks became dried out and stringy and virtually inedible. Strike two.



It's really a shame, because, except for the vegetables (of which there were enough to make three tarts), it was quite delicious.


There is a tomato version, so, if I make it again, I will sprinkle the mustard custard liberally with tomatoes and there will be no strike three.


You will find more opinions over at the FFwD site. (I believe most participants really loved it -- we are the exception, it appears.)

8 comments:

Elaine Corwin said...

Nope, not an exception. I wasn't particularly impressed with it either, and while I tweaked it a second time, I still thought it was too salty. Sad because I thought it had a lot of promise. It was definitely better when I tried it with oven roasted tomatoes.

Elaine said...

That's too bad that the carrots dried out and got stringy. I made the tomato version and we thought it tasted so good, but my husband thought there was too much mustard in the filling - he thought it should be more eggy. Even though it wasn't a hit in your home it looks really good!

Megan said...

You know, I don't like cooked carrots either - well, except for carrot souffle.

Somehow, I don't think that counts.

Heather B said...

Sorry it wasn't a hit for your family. It looks great though. Maybe next time will be better! I did the tomato version and I really enjoyed it.

Hindy said...

But you achieved the most important part - your filling set up beautifully. Mine was about half an inch think.

Kayte said...

Well, it looks great! Looks 10, Taste 2...isn't that something like A Chorus Line where she says something along those lines...lol. I will make it...have not gotten around to this yet, probably end up posting all four recipes at the end of the month on that Friday. Hope you are having a great fall!

Pamela said...

Sorry it wasn't a big hit, but it sure was pretty. I was nervous about taste, so I didn't make it. But that tomato version sounds tasty!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your tart is awfully pretty but I can see your points. I made the tomato version (although I didn't post it) which was nice.