Saturday, October 2, 2010

Hearts for David: LiveSTRONG With A Taste of Yellow 2010


Two and a half years ago I shared a story about my friend, David, who lost his battle with brain cancer.

I still think about him frequently, especially when I'm in the mountains or when there's a news story about some astronomical event, such as a new planet discovery or a meteor shower or the space continuum. We had great discussions about all things astronomical and scientific.

We also used to go for hikes in the Sandia mountains in Albuquerque. It was one of David's favorite places.



David's final resting place is in a lovely meadow near the top of those mountains.


It's beautiful in the spring and summer.



It's beautiful in the winter.



When I was there this past June, my friends (David's, too) and I went for a hike on the crest so I could see the meadow. All kinds of wildflowers were in bloom and the sky was gorgeous with an approaching thunderstorm. Just the perfect place.



Today, October 2nd, is LiveSTRONG Day 2010. Barbara, of winosandfoodies, has once again hosted this special food event, this time featuring heart-shaped yellow foods.


For breakfast this morning, I made heart-shaped toast and eggs in honor of the day, the event, and my friend, David.



Barbara will be posting all of the heart-shaped contributions in the coming week, so be sure and stop by to check them out.

4 comments:

TeaLady said...

It looks like an absolutely beautiful place. I know you miss your friend.

Unknown said...

Judy I remember your post about David. What a beautiful resting place for him.

Thank you for giving me your heart for LiveSTRONG Day.

Elaine said...

What a lovely tribute to your friend. The photos are beautiful. I had not heard of this challenge - it sounds wonderful and I love your heart-shaped toast.

Shandy said...

What a positive and beautiful tribute to your friend David. I had a childhood friend who lost his fight to cancer that started in his eye and moved on. One of the most cheerful and amazing people I have ever known in my life! By your sharing, you brought warm memories of my own friend. Your yellow heart breakfast for the live STRONG event is perfect! Hugs, Shandy