Tuesday, May 25, 2010

TWD: Banana Coconut Ice Cream Pie


I guess I trained my daughters well.

The rules for new foods were these:

1. Always try a bite before passing judgment.

2. Always respond politely. No eye-rolling, funny faces, gagging, eewwws, or rudeness.

I know my younger daughter doesn't like coconut, so I didn't really expect her to try any of this pie. But she surprised me by eating a whole piece. She's always willing to try a bite. The pie, however, was not a hit, which was what I expected.

I, on the other hand, enjoyed it quite a bit, and it appears the whole pie will be mine. (I knew I should have made tarts!)


So, along with coconut and butter, the crust had crushed bits of these cookies.




Instead of chocolate ice cream, I chose a local favorite, Island Coconut. McConnell's Ice Cream is based in Santa Barbara.



The pie is very easy to build.

First, the shell.



Then, a layer of bananas.



Followed by a mixture of mashed bananas, rum, and the ice cream.



After four hours in the freezer, it is ready to serve.



I chose to add the topping bananas only to the individual pieces, since the pie will live in the freezer for awhile. Good thing, too, because the banana slices are prone to falling off.




The final verdict: I like the pie. I love the crust. I could just eat the crust topped with the plain ice cream, or vice versa.


Thanks to Spike of Spike Bakes for a lovely warm-weather dessert. Stop by Spike's blog if you want the recipe, and check out the Tuesdays with Dorie site to see what the other bakers did.

10 comments:

natalia said...

Ciao ! Par of the training here is not to eat anything until it has been photographed !! I love your pie !!

Tia said...

local ice creams are my fave too. I did a twd rewind...lenox biscotti... b/c bananas/coconut are not my thing :)

Cindy said...

Your daughter is a great sport! We loved it and will make it often this summer.

Engineer Baker said...

Very good rules, in my opinion :) Glad you liked it!

Flourchild said...

Yum it looks great! I used the cookies too..very good and I loved the crust the best!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

that is good that they'll give it a go! i wouldn't be able to resist!

Kayte said...

Love the process photos! It's such fun to see various packaging of products, then when I spot them shopping, I always want to try that brand as well. Your pie looks great!

TeaLady said...

This was pretty good, wasn't it? Yep, The coconut ice cream was PERFECT!! And just the hint of banana.

Looks just great.

Spike said...

love your ice cream choice! Glad you liked it, even it if wasn't a fav overall

Jacque said...

Seems like the crust was a big hit all around. Good call on the coconut ice cream, I'll bet that was tasty.