Friday, May 14, 2010

Daring Cooks: Stacked Green Chile and Chicken Enchiladas



Our hosts this month, Barbara of Barbara Bakes and Bunnee of Anna+Food have chosen a delicious Stacked Green Chile & Grilled Chicken Enchilada recipe in celebration of Cinco de Mayo! The recipe, featuring a homemade enchilada sauce was found on www.finecooking.com and written by Robb Walsh.



Enchiladas are just about my most favorite meal. They are my benchmark for any new restaurant I try.



I've been making stacked ones for years and years, but usually with a red chile sauce. My challenge for this event was to make a green enchilada sauce. I've been looking for an easy and tasty one for a long time, and I believe I've finally found the right green sauce.



After cleaning the chiles and the tomatillos, I broiled them to remove skins and bring out flavor. When these were done, I tossed in the chicken breasts and broiled them as well.


While the green veggies cooled, I brought out the hardware to make the corn tortillas.



Even though I always have regular tortillas on hand, I decided to make some blue corn tortillas for a change. Definitely more rustic than store-bought, but that's the point.




The sauce simmered merrily away, looking and smelling terrific.




Finally, it was assembly time. The best baking container I found was my 9x5 bread pan. It held two stacks of enchiladas very nicely.



Ready to bake.




Fresh out of the oven.




Ready to eat.




One stack left. My daughter wasn't home for dinner and she forgot to take it for lunch today, so I get to treat myself again!




I will be making this green enchilada sauce again. It was easy and had great flavor. The tomatillos were so soft after broiling that I did not blend them. Instead, I just used my knife to finely chop them; basically, they disintegrated. One less item to clean!

Head over to the Daring Kitchen to see what the other Daring Cooks did and to see the sauce recipe.


Soon I'm planning on making a mole sauce -- I almost made one for this challenge, but decided on the green sauce instead. I'm looking forward to having a larger repertoire of sauces.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jealous, jealous, jealous... You have a tortilla press, access to fresh tomatillos and chile peppers, and blue masa harina! Your dish looks so good! Mine turned out really well, too, but I had to substitute a lot!

Barbara Bakes said...

How fun to make blue tortillas. Sounds like your enchiladas were delicious! Thanks for cooking with us.

TeaLady said...

BLUE tortillas. I need to try those. Have blue cornmeal, Didn't even think about it.

Your green sauce looks tasty. The whole thing looks tasty.

(Thanks for the catch on my blog!!)

Anonymous said...

Just a few of the Daring Cooks made the blue corn tortillas. I really want to try them now. Your meal looks delicious.