Saturday, May 22, 2010

BBQ Nerds


Last week my neighbor and I went out to lunch, then took a field trip to Lowes. I treated myself to a new kettle-type barbecue. I haven't been able to grill for years now, and with all the great recipes out in the food world, I decided I had deprived myself long enough.

Yesterday, my daughter called on her way home from work, saying that she was hungry for barbecue and a beer. She was offering to stop at the grocery and buy what was needed. Only problem, I said, was that the new grill wasn't yet assembled. Apparently, that was no problem. She also offered to put it together.

While waiting for her, I moved the box out back and began assembly. When Sophie got home, she took over -- under proper supervision, of course.




For our first effort, we grilled some thin strip steaks, portobello mushrooms, eggplant, and green bell peppers. The mushrooms and eggplant were placed on toasted buns and slathered with mashed avocado and havarti cheese.




Today we went in search of accessories: grill cover, wire brush, and grill pan for veggies and seafood. It appears that I have a grilled shrimp recipe on tap this week, so now I will be able to properly cook it instead of using the broiler or stove top.



Looks like it's going to be a great summer.

No comments: