Tuesday, November 10, 2009

TWD: Cran-Apple Crisp

Overheard at the library last night:

If a cookie is baked not cooked, why isn't it called a bakie?

Good question.



Now, on to the topic at hand. Crisps.



Let me go on record as saying that I love apple crisps. I've been making them for 30+ years. I still use the apple crisp recipe from my 1964 edition of Betty Crocker's New Dinner for Two cookbook, even though both the front and back cover have become detached. Actually, I still use quite a few recipes from that book.

I also make individual crisps using a creme brulee dish, one sliced apple, and crumb topping mix that I keep in the freezer, and then bake in the toaster oven. Sort of an on-demand dessert, and one that I made regularly at the restaurant where I worked.

So, I was really looking forward to making Dorie's version with the addition of fresh cranberries and golden raisins. While the topping called for sweetened coconut, I used some of the unsweetened coconut from my stash, which was a nice balance to the filling.

All I can say is Wow or Yum or some combination like that. It took every bit of self control I had not to eat the whole lot at one sitting.



Since I don't have individual baking dishes, I used my trusty long-time friend, the 9x9 Pyrex dish that I acquired from my Mother when I left home.


I managed to get a few photos of a crisp serving before it disappeared. Please note that the cranberries weren't nearly as lurid in person as in the photo.


I finished the remaining bits last night. Lucky for me, my daughter doesn't like cooked apples, so this was all mine. I'm not sure she even tasted it. Her loss.

Thanks to Em at the Repressed Pastry Chef for a super delicious choice. Stop by the other TWD blogs to read about their opinions.



12 comments:

Karen said...

What a great idea, to keep some crumb topping in the freezer! Love it.

Flourchild said...

I don't think I could call a cookie a bakie, but that is an interesting question! Your crisp looks so good. Im going to make it soon!

Anonymous said...

I remember that green Pyrex dish!!!!

Allison

Ivette said...

Your crisp looks yummy! I'm making this next week, hope it looks as good as yours.

Anonymous said...

Your crisp looks great. I'm glad you liked it.

Megan said...

Self control was the reason I invested in ramekins. They have become my friend. Embrace them.

Or, just eat the whole darn thing. Which is what I would have done!

Tammy said...

In answer to your question, I think that is why in NZ we call cookies biscuits which means baked. your crisp looks great - actually in NZ we call crisps crumbles - very confusing!

NKP said...

Mmm, I love cran apple crisp!

Pamela said...

Wum! Yow! :o) I must say that the idea of stashing the crisp topping in the freezer is brilliant! I'm stealing that one. Nice job.

Kayte said...

Oh, that's handy to know about that creme brulee dish and the individual portion...wait, who am I kidding with three guys in this house, when is that ever going to happen with a crisp? I make half size version of this TWD recipe (and I have done it three times now so I don't need to tell you what a hit it is) and they devour it in one sitting. Someday they will be gone and it will be just Mark and I and we will use the creme brulee dishes and make little ones just for us...what a great idea! Your crisp looks wonderful. Love the cookie/bakie query at the beginning...cute.

Bungalow Barbara said...

Your daughter didn't want any?!? Wow, her loss. We loved ours!

TeaLady said...

Somehow Chocolate Chip Bakie just doesn't sound right. But the crisp sounds/looks right. This was good. And your dau turned it down. She doesn't know what she missed.