Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cook the Books in France

I'm down to the wire here, but I'm still legal. It will still be November 8 for 3 1/2 more hours. Enough time to quickly post my entry for the latest Cook the Books Club choice, French Lessons by Peter Mayle.





I enjoyed reading about the various food-related events that take place in France. How I wish I'd known about the restaurant in Avignon when I was there!


But, what really brought a smile to my face was the story about the Marathon du Medoc, the connoisseur's marathon. How civilized to jog through the countryside, wearing outlandish costumes and sipping local wines.

Why, it reminds me of the few times I participated in San Francisco's infamous Bay to Breakers race.

I don't recall any wine stands, but the outlandish costumes were certainly there.

Even un-costumes.

My younger daughter, who was about 14 at the time, saw more naked people during the race than most other people have seen in their entire lives. (But, then, she also went bar-hopping in Portugal at 14, which is yet another story.)

Along with the undressed runners and the serious runners, there were runners bedecked costumes of every imaginable kind. One of my favorites was the group of runners dressed like a salmon. You guessed it -- they ran the opposite direction of everyone else. Upstream.



Those were the days. . . .

For my French meal, in honor of Mr. Mayle's adventures, I made a Gratin Savoyarde



and Porc a la Normande.



Our reading choice was courtesy of Johanna.



Here's to good food, good stories, and good memories!

5 comments:

Megan said...

Someday, over pastrami sandwiches at Cantor's Deli, you will tell me the story of your daughter bar-hopping at 14.

NKP said...

Mmm, sounds like a tasty French meal - I loved the book too.

Kayte said...

Oh, such fun! Am going to need to get this book and catch up with you! Love your choices of foods you made, so great looking. Very fun post!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks delicious!

Claudia said...

Is that apples on top of the pork? You'll have to share your recipes with us, they look so good.