Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ice Cream with a Zing



Lemons have always been one of my favorite foods. Sometimes I have a hard time deciding between something chocolate and something lemon. Many times lemon wins.

It's not that I like chocolate less, but, have you ever seen a fantastic, delicious-looking chocolate dessert in a restaurant or bakery? And when you took those first few bites, how the appearance didn't match the taste? And how disappointing it is when that happens? Well, I've been burned too many times on chocolate desserts, but rarely on lemon ones.

When Zorra put out the call recently for lemon-based recipes, I went through my mental list to see what I would like to make.
Being an ice cream fan, and especially a lemon custard ice cream fan, I thought I would try a new recipe for lemon gelato that I had recently come across while perusing some old Gourmets from my stash.



Because I live in lemon country, the main ingredient was easy to find, and the recipe was quick to make.


I did let some of my co-workers do a taste test tonight. Thumbs up for this one. I hope you enjoy it too.

And, Zorra, you can add this to your list of lemon delights.





Gelato di Limone
(adapted from Gourmet, February 1998)

1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lemon zest (I used 1 1/2 lemons)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
3 large eggs
2 cups half & half
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a saucepan whisk together the zest, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and eggs. Whisk in 1 cup half & half and vanilla, and cook custard over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until a thermometer reads 170 degrees F. Mixture will be slightly thick. Do not let it boil. Pour custard through a fine sieve into a bowl, the stir in the remaining cup of half & half.

Chill the custard thoroughly, covering the surface with a piece of plastic wrap, at leat 4 hours and up to 1 day.

Freeze the custard in an ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden

Makes about 1 quart.

8 comments:

zorra said...

Isn't it wonderful to live in a lemon country? I'm a big ice cream fan, too and your gelato comes for sure on my list. Thanks Judy.

Megan said...

So now I have to find my ice cream container and put it in the freezer - so I can make this. It looks perfect.

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds delicious. I was thinking about making lemon ice cream this weekend.

Unknown said...

Hi Judy,

My name is Keegan, manager of Cambria Palms Motel just north of you in Cambria CA. I couldn't find an email address, so I thought I'd comment on here. Feel free to delete this comment.

I see that you live in Ventura County. I'm hoping you'd be open to coming stay at our motel, which has newly been renovated. We won't charge you anything, and you are welcome to bring Coco, all we ask is that you write a brief post about your getaway and mention us in your post.

If this interests you, please contact me at info(at)cambriapalmsmotel.com at your earliest convenience.

Keegan

The Food Librarian said...

Judy, this looks delicious! Lemon and ice cream are perfect. Why isn't that one of the 31 flavors? :)

Eva said...

mmmm i could totally make this. and it doesn't even have heavy cream so it's practically good for you

Verena said...

Judy, just loved this ice cream recipe! I am crazy about getting and ice cream maker but here in Brazil is difficult to find one that is strong, the good ones are from abroad and cost a lot more...but I will find one that fits my needs and budget.
Great pics!
Got here through Lemon Day, my blog is also there.
Will be coming back soon to visit!
Hugs from Brazil!
Verena

James said...

I've loved lemon since I was little. On my 4th birthday my mother asked what kind of cake I wanted and I told her lemon. I am totally making this tangy lemon ice cream this weekend!