Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Disappearing Bread


Do you hear that?

Isn't it such a wonderful crackling sound?

That is my very first loaf of 5-minute artisan bread.

Even though I've had Jeff Hertzberg's and
Zoë François's book since October 2007, yesterday was the first time I managed to find the time to try it out.

Do you think the container might be overkill?

I only made half a recipe as a test to see whether it would really work out and how it would taste. Next time it will be the full recipe amount, because that bread turned out to be amazingly delicious. My daughter ate half the loaf while I was at work tonight. That should tell you something.

Now I will need to study the book some more and try out the many different flour combinations. This is such a quick method for making artisan style bread with great flavor.

And, not to worry. I'll still be making bread the "old fashioned" way, too. That's what is so great about bread making -- there are nearly an infinite number of ways to create such a perfect food.

Also, be sure to check out the artisan bread blog.


3 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

So you got the bread singing! The first time that happened for me it was like 3 am. I tried to record it but all I got was the refrigerator running which I didn't hear at the time.

Megan said...

I have been making bread from that book non-stop. So many varieties - and the only one I've had trouble with was the bagel recipe. Didn't turn out at all.

Anonymous said...

Great job! I love the 'crack". Your loaf looks wonderful.