Tuesday, February 24, 2009

TWD: Mighty delicious cookies


I figure I made one huge mistake with these cookies this week.

I only made half a batch.


Our task this week for TWD was brought to us by Whitney of
What’s left on the table? Whitney chose Caramel Crunch Bars, and oh my word are they ever delicious!

Using an 8x8" square pan, I pressed in the shortbread base that was flavored with chopped chocolate, cinnamon, and instant coffee or espresso powder. That combination on its own would be fine with me.


After baking, I sprinkled on some more finely chopped chocolate, let it melt before spreading it over the shortbread base, then added some finely chopped toffee*, pressing it into the chocolate layer. After refrigerating it to let the chocolate harden, I removed the giant cookie from the pan, then cut it into small pieces. I didn't have any trouble with the toffee bits falling off, since they were securely glued onto the cookie base with the chocolate.



We instantly loved these cookies, and they just keep improving as they sit (assuming they last that long). I will most certainly make these again and share them with others, only I will make a full batch instead of a half.



I'm wondering how the other TWD bakers liked these cookies, so I'll be sure to check their blogs during the coming week.



*Heath Bits of Brickle Toffee Bits

18 comments:

doughmesstic said...

oooh - yours look thicker than mine - and I bet that makes them better! Nice job!

Pamela said...

I thought that they were better after sitting, too! They look wonderful.

Hindy said...

Yours look nice and crunchy. I hope they were enjoyed!

Amanda said...

Looks wonderful! We enjoyed them too!

Megan said...

wow - yours look so nice and thick! I wish I could say mine improved with age, but they were gone in a flash!

Unknown said...

Nice job!

chocolatechic said...

I almost doubled this recipe.

Wishing that I had.

Anonymous said...

They look great! My toffee bits were falling off for some reason.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Well maybe not a mistake if now you can look forward to a full batch soon ;)

NKP said...

They really were tasty! Well, the good news is that you can make some more quickly. :)

Anonymous said...

I loved these crunch bars and I'm glad you did too. They're wonderful. Especially with ice cream.

TeaLady said...

Wish I had made them since everyone so far has given them rave reviews. Yours look really yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL on the half a batch comment...yours look great. Thanks for the giggle.

Unknown said...

Your bars look great! I think I'm in the minority this week - it seems that everyone loved them, but they weren't my favorite. Glad you liked them :)

Linda said...

half batch of this fabulous treat equates to one serving in my house!

Great job!!!!

Jessica said...

They're great cookies to share & yours look absolutely amazing.

Anonymous said...

So glad you loved them! These were definitely better after a few days! They look great!

The Food Librarian said...

Yummy! I love your "mistake" of making 1/2 a batch. Too funny!