Tuesday, February 17, 2009

TWD: Devil's Food White Out Cake



For this week’s TWD challenge, we all got to bake the Cover Cake for BFMHTY, otherwise known as Devil’s Food White Out Cake. Stephanie of Confessions of a City Eater was the lucky selector this time.


All went perfectly with this recipe. My layers were thick and had a slight dome, which I forgot to trim off in my haste to frost the cake.


The frosting was easy as well. While the sugar syrup was working to reach 242F, I kept busy in the kitchen, occasionally taking a peek at a show on the Food Network. You just have to have patience with syrup-making. It’s along the same lines as a watched pot. The syrup and the egg whites were ready at the same time, so it all went together very nicely indeed.


I suppose I could have put more frosting between the layers, but I don’t think I ever get that exactly right. I always have plenty to frost the sides and top, so I probably should be more generous with the filling. I guess I’m afraid of running short.




When it came time to decorate with the crumbs, I had to really persuade myself 1) to actually crumble one of the layers, and 2) to actually stick the crumbs on the frosting. I liked the simplicity of the white-frosted cake, and somehow it just seemed wrong to crumble a layer and then stick the crumbs on that nice white cake. But I persevered.




It was difficult to wait to cut a slice, so I think it was in the refrigerator for all of 20 minutes before I gave in. I did send a third of it over to my neighbor so it wouldn’t tempt us to eat it all. She and her son really loved it. We did, too. I think it would be a terrific party cake.



So, thanks to Stephanie for a great choice. I’ll be looking at the other TWD blogs throughout the week to see how everyone did.

17 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Wow, that's absolutely stunning! I think it was the perfect amount of frosting in between the layers, but I have the same problem as you - I almost always am afraid I'll run out. Then I have extra. *sigh*

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I always do that with frosting myself. And now that you mention it, I forgot to refrigerate the cake - just went from finishing it to camera to digging in! Your cake is beautiful. With that perfect frosting job I can see how you wouldn't want to mess it up with crumbs. I needed the crumbs to hide the mess I made.
Nancy

Nancy said...

Your cake is just gorgeous - it looks like you had plenty of frosting between layers!

Amanda said...

Wow you got that frosting so perfect! Beautiful :) We loved this cake too :)

Megan said...

The frosting is so thick and perfect! I almost wish I had made the whole thing, it was really good - although maybe it's better that I didn't!

The Food Librarian said...

Your cake looks EXACTLY like the cover! What perfect frosting you have too!!

NKP said...

Your layers look perfect! Thanks for the tip re the boiling time - I had no idea it would take so long. (being me, I assumed it was my fault..!)

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks gorgeous and the layers are perfect. YUM!

Anonymous said...

I am always scared of running short of icing. Perfect cake slice.

Pamela said...

I love the cake plate you have it on! Your cake looked perfect, even before the crumbs went on. Picture perfect, actually. It was a yummy cake.

AmyRuth said...

Cake Perfection!!! Looks perfectly portioned between the layers. Great frosting job and I think your cake stand is so cute.
AmyRuth

farah said...

It looks perfect! Well done :)

Unknown said...

Your layers look absolutely perfect!! Love your cake platter too. It's really cute.

TeaLady said...

Cake looks great. Glad it worked out for you.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Obviously why this is a "cover" cake.
Beautiful Judy.

Anonymous said...

Yours looks so perfect...the layers are all even, etc. Wow. I think you win this week of all that I have seen...yours is absolutely the best! Great job!

Happy you like to read the books I am reading...LOL. We are a small crowd, believe me...LOL!

Anonymous said...

Yours looks perfect -- so much neater than mine!