Thursday, February 12, 2009

Bake Along #3: Vanilla Malted Cookies


How do you like my Vanilla Malted Cookies? Lovely, creamy color and a strong vanilla flavor.


No?


Perhaps it’s because there was no malt powder to be found, and upon asking, was told it wasn’t made anymore.


Would that be true?


Ok, draw the line in the sand and dare me to find some.


I did.


But it was too late for these cookies.


Researching this question, I found two possible sources: King Arthur Flour at a reasonable price, and the local British import shop for an exorbitant price. Next time I place my KAF order, I will include malted milk powder.




Meanwhile, I substituted chocolate-flavored Ovaltine for the malt powder. In truth, I was lucky that any survived for the photo shoot, since my daughter would grab them off the hot cookie sheet and consume them. They are that good.


I got tired of piping straight lines, so I did a few curvy ones, too. I also dipped the ends of some in melted semisweet chocolate. White chocolate would work, too.



The recipe makes a ton of cookies, so I think they would be great for entertaining a large group of guests, especially when made ahead of time and frozen.


Thanks to Megan and Nic. I’m ready for next month now. . . .

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Those look wonderful...malted milk powder or not! I'd be shocked if they're no longer making Carnation malted powder; I always find it in my regular old supermarket next to the Nesquick/Ovaltine etc.

Megan said...

Now I'm ticked off - you're the second one to do a chocolate variation. Dang it, why didn't I think of that? And dipping the ends in chocolate as well - sheer genius.

I like the wavy ones - too cool!

What's for Supper? said...

Great job with the chocolate!!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Love your changes, even if they were accidental. Malt is not for me, but any cookie that's a crowd pleaser is worth having in the arsenal.
Nancy

Nichicakes said...

I will have to try the ovaltine kind too! Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Ovaltine? How clever. They look great, the shapes are so fun and the flavor sounds tasty, no wonder they were gobbled up so quickly :).