Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Peace Be With You via Chocolate

Ever since I bought BFMHTY, way back in 2007, I’ve been wanting to make the famous World Peace cookies. What’s been stopping me? Two things, really: first, all the weekly baking challenges for TWD that have been going non-stop for over a year now, and second, the hope that someone would choose this recipe. Finally, Jessica of Cookbookhabit came forth.

I’ve heard tell that the cookie dough is really crumbly and frustrating to work with, but I can report that this wasn’t the case for me. My dough behaved well and came together nicely into a 1 1/2-inch diameter log.

The only down side was that I was out of any kind of hard chocolate, so had to choose between cinnamon mini chips and cherry mini chips. Either would work, but I chose the cinnamon ones, because I like the taste of a cinnamon-chocolate combination. Might try cherry chips next time just for fun.

The cocoa powder I used is the Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa from King Arthur. It adds a rich chocolate taste and provides a darker-than-usual chocolate color. (Megan, that’s what I used for the Black & Whites.)


I love how these cookies bake up – round and flat with that neat little edge all the way around. It doesn’t hurt that they taste fantastic either, sort of crispy and chewy at the same time.

If you have to make only one thing from this cookbook, I would highly recommend these cookies. They are that delicious.

Browse through the blogs, and you will see that these cookies will turn out differently for each TWD baker, even though we all used the same recipe. Must be somebody’s law.



(Just as a side note: I've been baking just a few cookies at a time in my toaster oven, 16 minutes at 325F. The result is a perfect cookie.)



20 comments:

Jacque said...

Oh, good idea using the toaster oven. That might be nice paired with placing the cut cookies in the freezer and just baking up enough to satisfy a craving.

I'm glad you enjoyed them :)

Jennifer said...

Great idea to use the toaster oven! I like that!

Your cookies look awesome!

Susan @ SGCC said...

I love these cookies! They're one of my faves. Yours turned out just great! I'm going to try cinnamon chips next time. Well done!

Megan said...

Ah, thanks for letting me know about the chocolate. I really need to order from King Arthur before it gets too hot here.

I like the sound of the cinnamon chocolate combination.

chocolatechic said...

Wonderful cookies.

Anonymous said...

Cookies in a toaster oven!? Awesome! I have to try that! Your cookies look great!

Engineer Baker said...

I have a couple at a time too; no toaster oven, but it doesn't take long to preheat my oven :) Cinnamon chips sound fabulous - yet another combo I have to try!

Jamie said...

The toaster oven is genious! Your cookies look great!

NKP said...

They look great! I didn't have any trouble with crumbling either.
And have been known to bake in my toaster oven too!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I agree; they really are that good. Close to my favorite recipe in the book. Love the way they look but even better is that taste!!
Nancy

Kaitlin said...

The recipes do always seem to turn out differently for everyone - it's fun to read about.

Shari said...

I'll have to look for cinnamon or cherry chips. I haven't seen them in Ottawa yet. It was worth the wait to make these cookies. Although I'm tempted to make many recipes in BFMHTY, we already eat way too many desserts due to TWD!

Unknown said...

Your cookies look fantastic - love the cinnamon idea. I just got a bag of that cocoa in the mail and I can't wait to try it in different things.

Anonymous said...

Your WP cookies look delicious. I love the idea of cinnamon chips sound yummy.

kimberly salem said...

they look wonderful! good idea to use the toaster oven, too. i wouldn't have thought of that! :)

Pamela said...

Nice! The chocolate and cinnamon combo sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the toaster oven tip!

The Food Librarian said...

Cinnamon Chocolate sounds yummy. These look perfect!

TeaLady said...

OOOOH! Look at that deep rich chocolate. Very nice.

Unknown said...

You cookies look marvelous! Great idea to combine cinnamon and chocolate. I've seen so many recipes using cinnamon chips lately but I haven't been able to find them in any of my local grocery stores. Bummer!