Tuesday, January 27, 2009

TWD: Gingery Goodness

For years I’ve had a favorite gingerbread recipe, moist and spicy and easy to make. But now, my gingerbread has encountered some serious competition. Dorie’s Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread is truly delicious. Heather of Sherry Trifle is responsible for this week’s TWD
selection.

The basic recipe went off as planned with a few minor exceptions. I did replace the stem ginger with crystallized ginger, and I found that after 40 minutes in the oven, the center was still liquid, so I let it stay in for an additional 20 minutes. The final result was perfect.

Also, I wasn’t sure whether I would approve of a chocolate-coffee frosting on my gingerbread, but, I have to say, it made the whole dessert very tasty, so I have been converted.


I like my gingerbread spicy. Last fall I wrote about my go-to recipe. In comparison, Dorie’s gingerbread is on the mild side, relatively speaking, but because of the addition of chocolate to the batter and the icing on top, I can truthfully say I have two favorite gingerbread recipes now.

Be sure and visit the other TWD blogs to read about their adventures in spicy gingerbread.

11 comments:

Pamela said...

I really enjoyed it, too. Your cake looks wonderful. I can see the chocolate chunks, which I really enjoyed. Well done!

chocolatechic said...

I really loved the chocolate icing on top.

Cooking for Comfort by Jennifer said...

This was a great cake! So glad you loved it too!

Anonymous said...

Your gingerbread looks great. I'm glad you like this recipe. I absolutely adored it.

NKP said...

I doubled up on the fresh ginger - 'cause I love it so.
The crystalized ginger was a great idea - so happy you loved this recipe too.

Anonymous said...

So glad you have an extra favorite gingerbread recipe! This was so good!

Nichicakes said...

That turned out beautiful.

Unknown said...

Your cake looks gorgeous! Just like Dorie's. I love how shiny your icing is.

The Food Librarian said...

Glad you have another favorite gingerbread recipe!! Looks great.

TeaLady said...

I liked the chocolate in the gingerbread too. Looks yummy!!!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

We love our gingerbread spicy too - I'm off to check out your go-to recipe. I have one, but it doesn't hurt to peek, right? The chocolate one didn't do it for me, unfortunately. Yours looks delicious, though, and I'm glad it's a new favorite for you.
Nancy
ps, sorry if this is a repeat; the comment form is acting weird for me.