Saturday, January 17, 2009

Black & White Again


Only this time it's Moros y Cristianos -- a black bean and rice soup from Cuba, which is my entry in this week's My Kitchen, My World.

I always have black beans in the pantry, and I also happened to have a container of cooked brown rice in the refrigerator, so I decided to adapt and combine several recipes to create this soup. I made it on Friday, so it had a day to blend flavors before I served it for dinner tonight. It was definitely a quick and delicious meal.



For 2 servings:

Saute half an onion, chopped, and half a green pepper, chopped, in a tablespoon of oil, until softened. Add one garlic clove, finely chopped, and saute for another minute. Add one can black beans, including liquid, along with 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1 small bay leaf, and 1 cup chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add 1 cup cooked rice, and simmer until the soup is heated through. Remove bay leaf before serving. Season to taste.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

great way of adapting what you have at home- I bet it was great having a day to let the flavors meld!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That is just beautiful soup. I'm like you, I love black beans . . . I love most beans but black beans have got to be an all time favorite.

Anonymous said...

Yum. The soup looks delicious. I love black beans.