Saturday, September 27, 2008

Vegan/Gluten-free Daring Bakers


Having raced home from my vacation in time for the monthly Daring Bakers post, I guess it’s time I actually posted. Since I made this over two weeks ago, let’s see what I remember.


The challenge this month was chosen by Natalie of Gluten A Go Go, and co-host Shelly of Musings From the Fishbowl. We were tasked to make lavash and an accompanying dip/salsa/spread. The kicker was that all of it had to be vegan and/or gluten-free.



For the lavash, that meant substituting sugar for honey, which was easy. I divided my lavash dough into thirds, topping it with sesame seeds,


poppy seeds,


and cinnamon sugar.




For the dip, I found a recipe in Cooking Light for a Lima Bean/Fava Bean dip that was just divine, especially warm. It was a great complement for the lavash.




Lima Bean Dip (Salsa di Fagioli)

Fava beans are traditional in this hummus-like dip. Use them, if you find them, in place of the lima beans. Serve with raw vegetables for dipping.


1 pound frozen baby lima beans or fava beans
3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 garlic clove


1. Cook beans in boiling water 10 minutes or until very tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.

2. Place sesame seeds in a blender; process until finely ground. Add juice and remaining ingredients; process until blended. Add beans and 1/2 cup reserved liquid; process until almost smooth, scraping sides of blender occasionally.



Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1/4 cup)




I enjoyed this challenge because I could cross off another recipe from my BBA. I’ve made two-thirds of the recipes from this good book. I also felt this combination would make great party food.


Since I didn’t experience any issues with this challenge, my write-up is short and to the point. I am looking forward to the October challenge, and while I’m waiting, I will be checking out how the other zillion Daring Bakers did this month.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Oooh, lima bean dip - how unusual. I'll bet the kids would love that.

Hope you enjoyed your vacation!

Anonymous said...

Great looking lavash- lots of bubbly bits!

Lauren said...

Ooo, your lavash looks amazing, Love all the bubbles!

Anonymous said...

I agree, this would be wonderful for a party. I love the gorgeous green dip!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Bubbles and dip, I love them both Judy. Great Lavash!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely lavash and dip, and great bubble pockets! Also love the sweet and savory split. A hearty snack and dessert at once! Yum!

Baked, By Anna said...

Your dip looks lovely--and very healthy. I like to call this challenge "Daring Bakers Lite!"