Monday, September 1, 2008

TWD: Peanut Butter, Oatmeal, Chocolate Cookies



“Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.”



Yes. Well. Pay no attention to the chocolate chunks that look suspiciously like M&Ms.



What can I say? I was short a few chips, so . . . .



Our TWD event this week, Chunky Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters, was brought to us by Stefany of Proceed with Caution.


Now, I love peanut butter cookies, but I refuse to use adulterated peanut butter for anything. Always have, always will. So irregardless of what the recipe said, I used super chunky peanut butter au naturel, courtesy of Trader Joe’s. It’s a staple in the pantry.



Would you be able to tell the difference? Nope. These cookies are moist and tender and taste of oatmeal and peanut butter and a hint of spice.



I had just finished making the dough (yesterday, Sunday) and had the oven heating and the cookie sheets ready, when I happened to re-read the recipe. Chill, it said. Rats, I said. So, off went the oven. I stuck the mixing bowl in the fridge and decided to bake them this morning (Monday). It’s rather fun that way, because the dough is already prepared, so you only have to shape and bake. And the house smelled great during the process.





Take a look at the efforts of the other TWD bakers. It’s always interesting to see their results and read their comments.

17 comments:

Sihan said...

easy peasy cookie! but oh.. its taste soo good. Like a mixture of everything nice! Great work with your cookies!

ostwestwind said...

The were gone fast, did they?

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Anonymous said...

i used super chunky PB too - the extra texture was nice, but mine didn't taste very peanut buttery!

and what's an M&M between friends...

chocolatechic said...

bwahahahahaha

Your funny!

Anonymous said...

Hahah love that post! Great pics! Those cookies look delicious!

CB said...

Mmmmm M&Ms. That sounds delish. I have a feeling that the (wo)man behind the recipe wouldn't mind. ;)
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Shelby said...

oh yes, I love the way a home smells so much "homier" with the odor of fresh baked goods wafting thru the air!

Heather B said...

Great job! They look delicious!

Megan said...

I wish I'd used super chunky - it's my favorite. I don't remember chilling the dough, did the directions say to? Well, that shows how much attention I pay.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

It's great to know that the natural pb can be used. Your cookies look fab. Chill, it said. Rats, I said. - so true!
Nancy

NKP said...

Good to know the feedback re natural peanut butter. That is what we use but I bought Kraft for the cookies. Next time I will just stick to what we have on hand. Did you have to adjust sugar/salt?
Cookies look fab, I love the little stacks.

Marthe said...

Your cookies look to die for!!

Pamela said...

M & M's are good no matter how you eat them! Nice job.

Jaime said...

yum, they look great! i wonder why dorie says not to use natural pb? i don't know enough about baking to say...

betty geek said...

Funny, I used TJ's PB too! Awesome!

Marthe said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I loved these cookies!! And so did my coworkers! Boy, will they miss me when I start my new job in November!

Bungalow Barbara said...

I used natural peanut butter too. I looked up peanut butter on some food site or other (wish I could remember which one!) and found that "non-natural" peanut butter is usually about 90% peanuts, 7% sugar, 1% salt and 2% hydrogenated fat. Well, I never mind a bit less sugar, and I upped the salt a bit. The hydrogenated fat is to help keep it from separating -- I don't know if makes a difference to the texture of the cookies.