Tuesday, September 7, 2010

TWD: Peanut Butter Crisscrosses


My favorite peanut butter cookie recipe is from the Joy of Cooking (1964). No other recipe has ever quite matched the flavor and texture of that cookie. Until this week.


Dorie's Peanut Butter Crisscrosses have supplanted my long-time recipe.



I only made half a recipe because I forgot to buy more peanut butter, and I had just half a cup. Even with half a recipe, I ended up with 42 cookies, the size of a normal, full-sized batch, and I ended up baking them for 12 minutes with no adverse effects on the color or texture.

My peanut butter of choice is Trader Joe's. It's natural and delicious and fairly priced, and it doesn't matter if it is smooth or crunchy. It's what I always have on hand. So that is what I used, contrary to the recipe instructions. I didn't add anything extra, either, to compensate for the adulterated kind of peanut butter. It didn't make any difference in how the cookies turned out, so in my humble opinion, it's ok to use the natural kind.




Instead of regular salted peanuts, I used honey roasted peanuts, which is what I had. Oh, I would so use those again! They added a wonderful flavor to the cookies.




I'm thinking of experimenting with chopped chocolate next time, or, perhaps a combination of peanuts and chocolate.


On my next trip to TJs, I will certainly stock up on peanut butter so I can make a full batch. The texture of the cookies is neither too soft nor too crisp, but nice and chewy. We also love the sugary coating on the outside. These are the kind of cookies where you say, oh, it won't hurt to eat one more. . . . .





Jasmine of
Jasmine Cuisine chose this week's winning recipe, and that's where you will find the recipe, which I would highly recommend baking. I'm looking forward to reading comments from the other Tuesdays with Dorie bakers.




12 comments:

Mary said...

It's so great when you find a new go-to recipe! Dorie's lots of ways banana cake has become one of mine, as well as next week's upside-down cake. I made a half batch too and got 57 cookies! They were small, so crisp, but delicious.
:)

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your cookies look delicious! I made giant cookies and still got about 22 from a full batch of dough.

Madam Chow said...

I got a ton of cookies, as well. And I love the idea of the honey roasted peanuts!

Peggy said...

For some reason I forgot to use my silpat mat on these. Luckily they worked out good anyway. Yours are so beautiful. Great job!

Cindy said...

These were one great cookie, I want to make them with chocolate.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This is one big recipe. I love the use of honey roasted nuts. I have peanuts that are toffee flavored. I bet, they would have been good.

Tia said...

i like the size of yours. cute little buttons!
My version of these is PB and White Chocolate thumprints. Great job this week!

Pamela said...

I made half a batch, too and got plenty of cookies tomshare. Weren't honey roasted nuts terriffic in these?

Megan said...

I don't have access to the original recipe that you use - perhaps you would share? :)

I love love love peanut butter (in case you didn't already know that) and usually make the simplest version - pb, egg and sugar. Mmmmmmm

natalia said...

Ciao ! You are right it's almost impossible to say no !

Flourchild said...

Im glad you enjoyed this recipe! I really love it!
Your cookies look wonderful!!

Beth said...

It never hurts to eat just one more, does it?