Monday, September 27, 2010

Daring Bakers: Seasonal Decorated Sugar Cookies


The September 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Mandy of “What the Fruitcake?!” Mandy challenged everyone to make Decorated Sugar Cookies based on recipes from Peggy Porschen and The Joy of Baking.


While the basic theme for this month's Daring Bakers' challenge was sugar cookies, there was a twist, of course. We were tasked to make a cookie that represents September to us.



For me, September means a touch of crispness in the air and the lovely aroma of roasting chile peppers. In other words, my native state of New Mexico, not southern California, where I currently reside, and where it is hot as Hades right now.


I'm always on the look-out for the perfect sugar cookie. I'll know it when I taste it; just haven't found it yet. Perhaps this recipe will be the One.


In addition to baking the cookies, we were supposed to frost the cookies with royal icing, using the outline and flood technique.




My flooding leaves something to be desired, but since my kitchen is hovering at the 90 degree mark, even at 8:00 at night, I will practice on a cooler day.



This is my homage to fresh chiles and September. In answer to the eternal question, red or green, I offer both.



For the cookie and icing recipes, head over to Mandy's blog. Stop by the Daring Kitchen, as well, to see what the other bakers did.

4 comments:

megan said...

Yeah - what's all this heat about? I am SO OVER SUMMER!

But.....got any extra cookies laying around? Those are so cute!

Pamela said...

Fun cookies!

Stephanie @ Per l'Amore del Cibo said...

I was thrilled to see little chili cookies while roaming around the completed challenges! You're missing out on so much roasting this year, it's been wonderful. Great job on the challenge!

veena said...

chilli cookies looks so so good:-)