Tuesday, December 15, 2009

TWD: Volcano Cookies


These cookies remind me of macaroons, the coconut kind, where you mix together egg whites, sugar, and coconut, then bake. This is the nut version.


Today was my quilt group meeting. It was also our holiday salad potluck and cookie exchange, so what better time and place to make and bring cookies. I knew I would get honest feedback from my friends.


First thing this morning I toasted the nuts that my dear daughter had so kindly chopped up last night while I was at work.


Then I mixed all the ingredients together and baked the cookies.

Next my daughter and I tasted them. The verdict was mixed. I thought they were ok, but needed some extra flavor boost. After much stalling, my daughter just said they weren't her favorite.



Really, though, I had no choice but to bring them to my meeting since I had no more time to bake and no other cookies hidden away.


The quilt ladies said they like them just fine, and most of the cookies disappeared. While they are a great way to use extra egg whites and are easy to prepare, I'm not sure I'll make them again because of the mixed reactions.

It's always good to try something new, however, so if you want to try the recipe, head over to Macduff of The Lonely Sidecar.

My friends brought some killer cookies, today, too. There were some no-bake peanut butter-chocolate bars (broken oven), some brown sugar bars that were fabulous, some shortbread/nut bars, and some itty bitty key lime cookies straight from Florida, to mention a few. It was definitely a fun and delicious meeting.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your cookies look great. Too bad they weren't a big hit.

Jacque said...

They were different and I enjoyed trying something new too. Wish I had a nut-chopping helper around :)

Megan said...

I wish I had friends that would come over bearing treats like that. Last time I hosted a cookie exchange, one of my friends came empty handed yet left with an enormous box of cookies.

The nerve.

I don't see myself making these cookies anytime soon, they just weren't "it".

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Beautiful cookies... sorry they weren't a big hit! Hope you guys had a great birthday celebration!! :) Merry Christmas!

Engineer Baker said...

It sounds like in their natural state they're a bit bland - try what I did and use about a 1/4 cup of cocoa powder in place of the espresso powder - nutty, crunchy, and definitely chocolatey. They look great though!

Susan said...

I think you cookies look good. I liked these, but after round two my hubby said they were so-so. Can't please everyone. :)