Monday, December 14, 2009

Daring Cooks: Salmon en Croute


The 2009 Daring Cooks challenge was hosted by Simone of Junglefrog Cooking. Simone chose Salmon en Croute (or alternative recipes for Beef Wellington or Vegetable en Croute) from Good Food Online.

The latest challenge from the Daring Cooks called for ingredients that I typically have on hand. I try to keep salmon fillets in the freezer for quick meals. I prefer wild-caught salmon because of the food safety issues regarding farmed salmon. I know there are reputable farming operations, but because this information doesn't usually appear on the labels, I'll stick with the wild ones.


For the crust, I prepared a basic savory pastry, upon which I laid the salmon with seasoning.



Over the top I spread the spinach-arugula cream cheese mixture.


After encasing the salmon with the second piece of pastry, I used my little fishy cutter to decorate the top, giving a hint as to the contents.


The end-result was a tasty salmon mini-pie. Next time I make it, though, I will add some lemon juice. The overall flavor needed just that splash of acidity to make it really stand out.


This is a pretty straight-forward preparation, and a lovely way to fancy up a piece of salmon.


For the recipe, go to Simone's blog, and do check out the other Daring Cooks to see the other salmon and beef wellington versions.

6 comments:

Wic said...

I adore the little fish on the pastry and the fish looks moist and flaky. delicious.

NKP said...

Gorgeous! I love the fishies.

Simon said...

Nice work with the post! So simple and I bet so tasty, especially with the wild salmon :)

Megan said...

I should not be looking at this when my tummy is rumbling.

I love salmon, but when I found out that coloring is added to make it more visually appealing, it kind of turned me off of it.

Of course, wild salmon doesn't have that problem, but finding it here IS the problem.

Karine said...

Great job with your salmon en croute!

Nori said...

Looks wonderful! Congrats on a nicely completed challenge.