Tuesday, December 1, 2009

TWD: Pears and Alligators

See Isabelle.



See Isabelle get her teeth cleaned.



And you thought quilt meetings were only about quilting!! Silly!


Today was my day to host our semi-monthly small group quilt meeting. Lucky friends! They got to have Rosy Poached Pear and Pistachio Tart for dessert.




My only frustration came when I was disemboweling the poached pears. I used Red Anjou pears and they sure had a tough center to remove. It took 2 knives and a sharp-fanged strawberry scooper thingie to render them edible. Not to mention all the poaching liquid splattered everywhere.


I used a local wine for the poaching liquid, a 2005 Syrah from Cantara Cellars.



The pistachio-sour cream filling was delicious. There was a little left over along with a few pear slices. That will make a nice treat.

The finished tart was gorgeous.



This week's recipe was chosen by Lauren of I’ll Eat You. It required more steps than the usual recipe, but luckily, some components can be made ahead of time with a last minute assembly. All ladies agreed that the tart was delicious and the sauce added a nice flavor.

Stop by the other TWD blogs to see more tarts.


Isabelle's teeth are now nice and white.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Your tart looks fabulous! I skipped this recipe. Didn't have all the ingredients on hand. I made Dorie's Blueberry Pie instead.

Megan said...

I thought everyone knew that Alligators had to get their teeth cleaned. :)

NKP said...

Gorgeous tart, and I want that chair!

TeaLady said...

Tart came out perfectly.

Mike Brown said...

I hope you took the opportunity to taste the Cantara Cellars 2005 Syrah before poaching!

Mike Brown
Winemaker
Cantara Cellars