Sunday, September 6, 2009

YWPWT: Vacation Pies


In July 2001, my older daughter and I took a special vacation together, a Mother-Daughter Girl Trip . It hardly seems possible that it was really 8 years ago! We flew from Los Angeles to Seattle, rented a car, and drove to Vancouver, BC, doing a bit of sightseeing along the way. I was in familiar territory, having grown up near Seattle, but it was new for Emma.

Our ultimate destination, though, was Alaska -- Alaska via cruise ship. Neither one of us had ever been to Alaska before, or had ever been on a cruise, but because my daughter worked for a cruise line, we had an opportunity to have a new and unforgettable experience.

Since that trip, both of us have continued to cruise. In fact, we'll be going on a cruise together, once again, in a little over a month. It will seem like old times!

So, in honor of that memorable vacation, I have made Baked Alaska Pie. It's quite simple really.

First, you make some homemade ice cream.

Blue:




Red/pink:



And white.

The colors, red, white, and blue, celebrate the Labor Day holiday. The ice cream represents Alaska and summer time. You can use store-bought ice cream, of course, but homemade is so much more fun! I used manufacturing cream for my base, with just sugar and flavoring. Simple and rich.

And, yes, I do indeed have 3 ice cream makers, collected over many years.


Next comes the pie crust, pre-baked and cooled.


When the ice cream is firm, but not too hard, place scoops of alternating colors in the pie crust. Place in the freezer for about 2 hours. (Oops -- I almost forgot to document it before covering with meringue.)



Make a meringue using 3 egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar, and 6 tablespoons sugar. Beat well until it is stiff but still glossy, then top the pie.


Either place the pie into a 475F oven until the meringue browns, or use a torch, which I did. Then place the pie into the freezer for a thorough chill.


Who knew that meringue would freeze well? That is what I learned from this pie.


Each slice is a surprise, since you never know which color combination will appear.




My daughter thought this pie was weird, but delicious. I guess that's a thumbs up.


Eating a piece of Baked Alaska Pie reminds me of my first cruise and the special time I had with my daughter. Thanks to Jenn at Piccante Dolce for a thought-provoking theme. I bet the other pies and their stories will be interesting as well, so please do stop by You Want Pies With That? to find out.


17 comments:

NKP said...

Yum! I have never had a baked alaska. I love that you have three ice cream makers!

Beryl said...

What is it about cruising that makes it synonymous with baked alaska? Great idea!

Kate said...

My parents are crusing Alaska right now and probably partaking in some Baked Alaska. Great job!Special times spent with my mom are some of the best memories I have. Thanks for sharing!

The Food Librarian said...

This is amazing and fits the theme perfectly. And you have THREE ice cream makers?!?!? :) I think there is a self-help group for you. :)

Love it!

Megan said...

A cruise? How fun! And how nice that you and Emma had such a wonderful time together ~ I've heard the Alaskan scenery is just breathtaking.

Neat looking pie - and who knew meringue would freeze so well?

Jacque said...

Oh, great story! and the perfect pie to go with it. Nice work :)

Jenn said...

The Red & Blue are a really cute idea!

Sara said...

Yum, this looks so tasty! I love the idea of different colored ice creams in one pie like that, and it looks gorgeous covered in the meringue!

Kayte said...

Oh, this looks delightful...I would love a piece of this! Fun to hear about the traveling.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This is one clever pie as well as a creative, beautiful one. You did a fantastic job.

Nichicakes said...

Great story! I can't believe you have room to store 3 ice cream makers! Lucky

Cook the Books said...

Three ice cream makers! I don't even own one, but it is on my birthday wish list! Beautiful pie, too :)

suz said...

First of all, I am so jealous as I've always always wanted to go on a cruise to Alaska. Second, Baked Alaska is one of my very favorite desserts in the universe. Nicely played :)

Jen H said...

I love your story and have always wanted to go to Alaska and I love that you made an entirely from scratch Baked Alaska pie. Awesome job!

Madam Chow said...

Yum. Yum, yum, yum.

Anonymous said...

Your baked alaska looks fantastic!

cruise deals said...

You reminded me my cruise to Alaska few years ago. they also made us those Alaska pie, yummy!