Tuesday, September 22, 2009

TWD: Cottage Cheese Pufflets


This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was chosen by Jacque of Daisy Lane Cakes and caused quite a bit of discussion among the TWD bakers.

What was a pufflet?

Cottage cheese?

Dough-handling issues.


Who knew that such an unassuming baked good could cause such a ruckus.

For me, that was all the more reason to try these out. I made one teensy change in the recipe, however. Instead of cottage cheese, I used ricotta cheese, because that's what I had on hand. We adore cottage cheese in this household -- it disappears very quickly -- but since I needed to use the ricotta, I decided to experiment with it.



Yes, the dough was soft to roll, but not too soft, especially if it was well chilled. So, no problems there. Using ricotta didn't make much of a difference.

I used some of my blackberry-lime jam that I had made during the summer for the filling.




I did have to bake these for an additional 10 minutes because they just wouldn't turn golden.


I'm glad I made only half a recipe, since I ended up having to eat all of them. Not all at once, of course, but my daughter just wasn't in a jam-cookie mood this week. These weren't difficult to make and they tasted just fine, but they didn't 'rock my boat' as they say. Given a choice, I would bake and eat the apple turnovers from last week any day over these little cookies. But, that's just me.



I'm sure the other TWD bakers felt differently, so stop by their blogs and see what they had to say.

6 comments:

Susan said...

I felt the same as you about these. I would much rather make the apple turnover than these. I did use blackberry jam and Nutella in mine, which tasted great, but too much trouble with the dough for me to try again.

Megan said...

They didn't "rock my boat" either, but were a major pain the make.

Oh well - live and learn, right?

Christina and Jacob said...

I agree with you, not worth the effort. The turnovers were a much better and tastier use of dough and time. Yours look amazing, but I also had the trouble of them not browning. Wonder why. Great job on not having them explode!

Nichicakes said...

Judy I think yours are the first ones I've seen without jam oozing all over! Well done!

Kayte said...

Wow, yours look like perfect little triangles...mine were sort of "triangle-esque" at best. We liked them but they were a little too fussy for me to consider them being any kind of staple around here...maybe could add a few to the Christmas cookie tray or something along those lines. Yours look lovely.

Jacque said...

Yes, nice job with the triangles... so perfect! I think someone else tried ricotta too.

Thanks for baking along this week :)