Tuesday, September 15, 2009

TWD: Flaky Apple Turnovers


Turnovers have always been one of my favorite treats. When I was young, my mother would buy the Pepperidge Farm frozen turnovers and bake up a batch for dessert. While I preferred the lemon filling, I also enjoyed the apple, cherry, and blueberry ones.


It's been quite some time since I've had turnovers, so I was very pleased to see this week's selection by Julie of Someone’s in the Kitchen. I was really looking forward to making and enjoying these apple turnovers, which I did, immensely.

The dough came together very easily for me; it was nice and smooth. I understand that other bakers had crumbly dough, but it certainly wasn't the case for me.


Half of the dough gave me 8 turnovers, with scraps left over to play with.




I chopped my apples into a very small dice, and added a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice along with the cinnamon and sugar.


Folded and crimped, brushed and sprinkled.



Fresh from the oven.



There's that yummy apple filling.



I was really hoping that I would be able to eat them all, because one of my daughter's least favorite foods is cooked apple. It's a texture thing. But -- and this is high praise, indeed -- she ate two of them, saying, that for a cooked apple dessert, it was one of the best.

I did get the remainder, however. Yesssss.



Catch the turnovers from the other bakers on the Tuesdays with Dorie blog.

8 comments:

Megan said...

My mother still buys the Pepperidge Farm turnovers.

And their cakes, too, but that's another story.

Soy*Baby said...

Your turnovers are gorgeous. Glad everone loved them.

Tammy said...

i love the goldeness of your turnovers

Angela [YourEverydayMama] said...

Yours turned out beautifully! My kids also ate some, which is saying a lot, pastries are not their favorite things :)

Jacque said...

I love it when someone that doesn't like some element of the treat ends up liking it anyway. It's like bonus points.

Your turnovers look PERFECT! Good idea cutting the apples small... wish I'd have done that.

TeaLady said...

Those look yummy. Great job.

Karine said...

Your turnovers look delicious! thanks for sharing :)

Jules Someone said...

Those look just delicious! Nice job. Thanks for baking with me!