Tuesday, May 12, 2009

TWD: Time to Pucker Up


After a long day’s work at the library, I think I’m a little on the brain-dead side, so this post is going to be short and sweet. Maybe a bit lemony and sweet and sour. Thanks to Babette of Babette Feasts, the Tuesdays with Dorie group made some truly tart lemon tarts. We used the entire lemon – peel, pith, and juice!

Contrary to popular opinion, I, in that perverse way of mine, decided to follow the recipe precisely, and that’s just what I did.

Sure, the filling was tart with bitter notes, but when paired with a dollop of sour cream (or crème fraiche), it was lovely. I did manage to torch one of the tarts, brulee-style, until the butane ran out.


My only complaint would be the amount of filling in the baked tart. I filled them to the brim, watched the filling rise up and then collapse again, leaving a burnt sugar edge around the perimeter, but when I finally cut into the tart, there was just a thin layer of filling over the crust. Much of it had ended up as the burnt edge, so I was a bit disappointed about that.



While this particular recipe was easy to make and tasty, I don’t believe it will replace the Most Extraordinary French Lemon Cream Tart.


Drop by the other TWD bakers to see their tart tarts, and if you’re brave enough, you’ll find the recipe on Babette's blog.

10 comments:

Kara said...

Judy, I was disappointed at all the spill-over too. Next time I'm going to try making this in a deeper tart dish or in a springform pan instead. I hated to see all the filling on the cookie sheet, rather than in the crust!

Teanna said...

I am sorry that it spilled over! I don't know why, but mine didn't , so I feel like I did something wrong! It looks great, though and I hope you get to try it again!

Pamela said...

Mine bubbled and spilled only a very tiny bit, so I think that they'll be okay. I haven't eaten them yet, but they looks yummy.

Megan said...

At least yours was edible......

Soy*Baby said...

Mine spilled over and I lost most of my filling too. I think it would have worked better in a full size tart pan and not mini tartlets. Next time. It looks yummy.

Tammy said...

I actually liked this better than the creamy tart I think.

NKP said...

Sorry you had spillage, at least you have a tried and true recipe to go back to.

Unknown said...

It seems that a lot of people had problems with it bubbling over. Mine didn't bubble over at all but it was incredibly bitter - so much so that I couldn't eat it.

chocolatechic said...

It looks great.

I didn't do it.

Did you do the BB's tuna salad?

TeaLady said...

AS long as you liked the taste....

Mine was 'darkish' but tasty. Glad you tried it.