Tuesday, March 17, 2009

TWD: A Marmalade Dilemma



What to do?


This week, our Tuesdays with Dorie selection (chosen by Liliana of My Cookbook Addiction) was French Yogurt Cake, a lovely, somewhat nutty, pound cake, glazed with marmalade.


I’ve always preferred marmalade to most other jams and jellies (the exception being apple butter), and my most favorite marmalade is lemon. When I travel, I always visit the local markets and supermarkets, looking for interesting and hard-to-find goodies.


And so it is that I have in my pantry the following two items:

Lemon marmalade:



And Blood orange marmalade:



And since I have both a lemon and a blood orange tree, it was a difficult choice, but the blood oranges won out. On one of my last trips to London, I went shopping at Fortnum and Mason. (Oh, to have a bottomless pocketbook!) I discovered this jar of blood orange marmalade, something which I had never seen before and that I just had to have. This was also pre-blood orange tree, mind you. I must have been psychic.


For this cake, therefore, I used the flour and almond meal combination and grated in a healthy dose of blood orange zest. The only yogurt I had was Greek yogurt, which I love, so that is what I used. This was such a nice, straight forward recipe to make. The glaze, of course, consisted of melted and strained blood orange marmalade.


For service, I topped the cake slices with some freshly whipped cream and a few blood orange supremes. The orange flavor was subtle, but lovely, and the orange sections added just the right touch of moisture.




I have now breached my prized jar of blood orange marmalade, although the lemon one is still safe. I admit I have a tendency to hoard food items that I fear I won’t find again. Perhaps I should start using the lemon marmalade so that I have an excuse to travel to London again. For food shopping. Although maybe I don’t really need an excuse, just a long list.


Be sure and visit the other TWD blogs to see all the creative versions of French Yogurt Cake.


(Now, if I can just find some lime marmalade to go with my lime tree . . . . )

22 comments:

NKP said...

I am so jealous of your citrus trees!
So funny about the hoarding, I do that too.
The loaf, with the corresponding blood orange, looks lovely!

Sihan said...

don't worry about the hoarding too. I'm used to buying stuff that i don't usually use just for the sake of stocking up the pantry. It's crazy.. haha.

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you have a blood orange tree!!! Are you not the luckiest woman in the world!? And I've never even seen lemon marmalade! I love that it is a pantry staple for you! Beautiful loaf!

Jules Someone said...

That is just yummy looking! I love Fortnum and Mason. I would need a bottomless pocketbook and a huge suitcase to do it justice.

Megan said...

Ha ha ha ha! I burst out laughing about hoarding food items, for fear you won't be able to find them again. Sounds like something I would do.

I still haven't tried blood oranges.......

And forget about growing any citrus here.

Anonymous said...

How fun to have these two choices available...and the citrus to go with them! Your photos are lovely and your cake looks really tasty...great job. Blood Oranges...you might just have my vote as most creative this week! Really nice.

chocolatechic said...

Blood oranges.

Brilliant.

Jacque said...

Oooh, yummy! (I just bought my first blood oranges yesterday.) Your cakes looks delicious.

Jennifer said...

Wow! I am so jealous that you have a lemon and a blood orange tree!

Nicely done!

Leslie said...

Blood orange marmalade sounds amazing! Your cake looks so beautiful with the cream and blood orange slices. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Unknown said...

Wow, your cake looks delicious! I love it topped with the whipped cream and blood orange sections. I'm so jealous of your fruit trees and your prized food-related items from London!

Marthe said...

You can always try making your own lime marmalade ;)

Your cake looks gorgeous with the blood oranges!

Anonymous said...

Blood orange marmalade and zest sound wonderful. I loved this recipe it was so easy and delicious.

Heather B said...

Love the blood oranges! Great job on your cake!

Pamela said...

Looks really pretty! Nice job.

Tammy said...

a blood oragen tree!! they are quite an exotic species in NZ and we only get imported ones. your cake looks fab

Jessica said...

I am so jealous of you and your citrus trees, oh to live in California! I am terrible about hoarding my food goodies that I bring back (I have some tea and jam from FM that I really need to use and I just don't want to open it!) so I applaud your decision to break into the goodies this week! It looks lovely.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I was thinking I did have a bottomless pocket book and that's why I couldn't reach deep enough to get anything out!
Marmalade's OK by me but apple butter is in the heaven sphere.
However, you cake is sitting there in the heaven sphere, looks lovely.

Amber Marie said...

Blood orange marmalade!!! I'm starting a list for London food shopping right now. This sounds too good.

Di said...

I hoard things, too... which no doubt explains the 3 or 4 jars of raspberry butter in my pantry. And the spare jar of golden syrup. =) Blood orange sounds like a wonderful flavoring for this cake.

The Food Librarian said...

You have a lemon and blood orange tree? Um, I'm coming over with a ladder! :)

Engineer Baker said...

Sooo jealous right now. A blood orange tree, for serious? I think I need to live by you... Beautiful job! Oh, and apple butter always wins out - wonderful stuff.