Sunday, April 16, 2023

Mixed Grain Seeded Ciabatta

 

 

The Kitchen of the Month for April was Cathy, of Bread Experience.  Cathy asked us to make Mixed Grain Seeded Ciabatta, which turned out to be a straight-forward, delicious bread.  

I used a combination of all-purpose flour and spelt for the basic dough, then added in pumpkin and sunflower seeds.  I had plenty of fresh seeds on hand, since several of my baking projects this year have included them.  Must be the Year of the Seeds!

The loaves turned out fine, but I was somewhat disappointed in the lack of an open structure, one that I associate with ciabatta.  It's been abnormally chilly here, so maybe a lack of heat contributed.  Aside from that, the bread is very tasty and makes excellent toast, even with small slices.


 

Go to Cathy's website for the recipe, and check out the lovely ciabatta that the other Babes baked.


 

 

4 comments:

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Year of the seeds ... indeed! Your loaves look beautiful. Spelt seems to work really well in this bread.

Elizabeth said...

I know what you mean about the less-than-open structure. I had the same disappointment. But the flavour and texture made me forget that I thought there was anything amiss. (Still, next time, I'm going to try to add more water.)

hobby baker Kelly said...

Your crumb is light and beautiful! I think the difference from the larger open structure is the folding and reshaping after the rest. Knocks out those big bubbles. This slices so beautifully and easily, I might try again with limited handling after turning it out and dividing. I think the holes could be preserved and show up that way.

Karen said...

I imagine with all of the seeds, getting the glass bread look would be more difficult. Your crumb actually looks very light considering!