Friday, September 16, 2022

Pletzels!

 


 

This month, thanks to Karen of Karen’s Kitchen Stories, the Babes are baking pletzels. Pletzel means board, and this is basically an onion and poppy seed board, popular in Jewish bakeries several decades ago.  While this particular recipe uses a bialy-type dough, I have a recipe that calls for a challah or brioche dough for added richness.

I spread this out over several days.  Day one, I chopped a huge amount of onions.  Day two, I made the dough and put it into the refrigerator for its overnight stay.  I also used my slow cooker to caramelize the onions.  That took about seven hours in all.  They may have been a bit on the darker side, but they were delicious and the whole house smelled great while they were cooking.  After cooking, they went into the refrigerator as well.  Day three, I prepared the dough, slathered on the cooked onions, sprinkled on the poppy seeds, and baked the pletzel.  It turned out great, and was a delicious accompaniment to several meals.

Breaking the process into multiple steps makes the bake less intimidating, and when it’s time, all the components are ready to assemble.  For the recipe, go to Karen’s website, and also check in with the other Babes to see their take on this pletzel.

 

Bread Baking Babes:

 

 

4 comments:

Karen said...

I love how you broke down the steps! Your pletzel looks beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

Oooooh! How brilliant to make the pletzel into a square. The caramelization on the onions makes it even better. (I think maybe we need to get a slow cooker....)

I almost made a challah-like dough too. But then, when it came down to it, I realized I was too lazy to add egg and oil to the dough. How does this bialy-like dough compare to the challah dough pletzel recipe you have?

hobby baker Kelly said...

Perfect shaping! That is a model pletzel, and love the multi-day easy process.

Katie Zeller said...

I never thought of using the slow cooker for onions. Great idea!