Saturday, April 16, 2022

Ukrainian thin pancakes -- mlyntsi

 


For the April challenge, Elizabeth, of Blog from OUR Kitchen, asked the Babes to make buckwheat blini, Mlyntsi, also known as Ukrainian thin pancakes.  Unlike crepes or pancakes, mlyntsi are leavened by yeast with added lightness from whipped egg white.  Since I didn’t have any idea how to serve them, I just ate them straight out of the pan.  Sort of like potato chips where you can’t stop at one.  Not a bad snack, really.  

Elizabeth provided two ways to make the batter, one using yeast, and the other using sourdough starter.  I opted for the yeast version, and all went smoothly.  After reading the other blog posts, I have some idea how to fill and serve them for the next time.

For the leftover buckwheat flour, I know of a good cookie recipe. . . .

Stop by Elizabeth's blog and choose one of the recipe versions to try.


Check out the other Bread Baking Babes:

 

4 comments:

Karen said...

Oh do share the cookie recipe!! Your pancakes look lovely.

hobby baker Kelly said...

Buttered blini yumminess! I saw that KA had a buckwheat chocolate chip cookie that I pinned to try!

Elizabeth said...

Straight out of the pan sounds great! I can't get over how thin your pancakes turned out. They look almost as thin as the buckwheat only French-style crepes we make. (Which are really good too - we fill them with chicken a la King OR ham and bechamel)

Buckwheat cookies! I bet those are good too. (My sister makes gluten-free sourdough bread with a buckwheat starter. She says the bread is fabulous. Yay for buckwheat!)

Katie Zeller said...

Haha! They look like one could easily eat them all - very light. I like 'straight out of the pan!