Saturday, February 16, 2019

Happy Eleventh Anniversary: Chelsea Buns




After several months of bread-baking debacles, I finally had success with this month’s challenge, Chelsea Buns, the selection by Tanna (My Kitchen in Half Cups), Kitchen of the Month.  I ended up making the buns twice, because the first time around, I forgot the sugar in the filling.  The buns were still good, but not overly sweet.  When I made them the second time around, I decided to improve upon the recipe, and the results were even better.


For the dough, I used my bread machine (R2D2) to save wear and tear on my hands.  


Round one:  after I rolled out the dough, I spread softened butter on top and sprinkled it with mixed spice and currants.   



Then, I rolled up the dough, sliced it into individual rolls (using dental floss), then placed the buns in the pans for the final rise.  One batch was in my heart-shaped pan, the other in a square pan.   



Once the buns were out of the oven and still warm, I used a milk glaze to cover them.  After the taste test, I kept thinking something was missing, so I replayed the construction over and over in my mind until I had my aha! moment.  Forgot the sugar for the filling.  Also, the currants kept falling out.


Obviously, I had to make them again.


Round two:  I finely chopped some dried cranberries and currants, and added them, along with some orange zest, to the dough itself.  This time, when I rolled out the dough, I remembered the sugar.  I spread it, once again, with softened butter, then, sprinkled it with mixed spice and a little brown sugar.  


I also changed up the glaze, using some powdered sugar and orange juice.  This batch was super delicious.



To be fair, I researched Chelsea Buns, and ended up combining several recipes.  There’s a basic dough, a mixture of fruits, and the addicting spice mix.  Definitely worth making again and again.



Basic dough

1 cup milk
1 large egg
4 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
3 1/3 cups bread flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Follow the directions for your bread machine, using a manual setting; or, mix by hand/mixer.
Bake rolls at 375˚F for 20-25 minutes.  Glaze will still warm.


Mixed Spice

1 tablespoon allspice
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons mace
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon ginger


If you decide to make these yummy Chelsea Buns and help celebrate our eleventh (11th) anniversary, and I hope you do, send your story and photos to Tanna by February 28.


Visit the other Babes to see how they adapted the buns to their own tastes.





5 comments:

hobby baker Kelly said...

Love that you added your fruits directly to the dough! I would love to try out this version, they look gorgeous!

Karen said...

I'm with Kelly! Adding the chopped fruit to the dough sounds wonderful. Love your heart shaped pan.

Katie Zeller said...

You have a heart pan!!! Very clever! And you made them twice - very ambitious!

Elizabeth said...

Yay! Success! This is thrilling.

How clever are you to include some of the fruit and orange zest in the dough?!

We were supposed to glaze the buns? Ooops!!

Like Katie, I'm quite envious of your heart shaped pan. I have heart shaped cookie cutters (I WAS going to use them to put decorations on top of the buns. But, I forgot. Of course I did).

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Finally, one of us with a heart shaped pan! That's really terrific.
Filling in the dough ... well how very accomplished! Stunning of you.