Tuesday, June 20, 2017

TWD: Cookies -- Two for the price of one

Saturday was cookie-baking day, and it had to be done early before it got too hot.

First up were the Rose-Hibiscus Shortbread cookies.  I had made them several months ago with disappointing results.  This time, I had fresh rose water and fresh rose-hibiscus-cherry tea, so I thought I would try again. 



The cookies turned out fine, although the flavor is still too mild to notice.  I'll probably stick with regular or lemon-poppy seed shortbread.



Next was the latest version of chocolate chip cookies, My Newest Chocolate Chip Cookies.



I had made the dough on Wednesday, so it had plenty of chilling time.  I also halved the recipe because I didn't need to be tempted by 50+ cookies.  For the chocolate chips, I used a giant bittersweet chocolate bar from Trader Joe's, weighing out the appropriate amount and slicing off slivers with a serrated knife.  No big hunks of chocolate, but a nice distribution of chocolate throughout the cookie.  These baked up very nicely, the spices were subtle, so they shouldn't be terribly noticeable.  I'd definitely bake these again.

Now it's your turn to try them out.  Stop by the Tuesdays with Dorie website to see which cookies the other bakers made, and keep an eye out for the July selections.

The recipe for the Rose-Hibiscus Shortbread Cookies can be found on page 191; the one for the chocolate chip cookies on page 125 of Dorie's Cookies.




4 comments:

Cakelaw said...

I agree that the fans tasted fine but the flavours were very subtle. The choc chip cookies were amazing!!

Diane Zwang said...

I used Trader Joe's chocolate chunks since it came in a 10oz bag. It worked perfect. Chopping one of those Trader Joe's bars can be a chore, it is so big. We loved these cookies.

Peggy said...

You worked hard chopping those chips! They look amazing

Anonymous said...

Too bad the tea flavor didn't come through more. Oh well.