Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Daring Bakers: Swiss Swirl Ice Cream Cake

The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.


The task for July's Daring Baker event was to make two Swiss rolls filled with whipped cream, two ice creams, and a fudge sauce. We were given a bit of latitude with flavors.



The cake was an almond-flavored sponge, the ice creams were toasted almond and fresh peach, and the fudge sauce became butterscotch sauce.


While not a difficult challenge, it was time-consuming, and there were a few bumps in the road during the process. When I made the Toasted Almond ice cream, one of my ice cream makers decided to be difficult, so I ended up using the freezer-stir-frequently method.

The two Swiss cake rolls turned out nicely, but they were filled way too full with whipped cream. I followed the recipe, but in future, I would reduce the amount of filling so the poor cake doesn't disappear under the whipped cream.




The butterscotch sauce filling took hours to freeze, but was a success. By the time the whole thing was assembled, it was evening, so I had no choice but to let it sit in the freezer overnight. Less temptation, to be sure!



This certainly is a spectacular dessert and the various flavor combinations are endless. Stop by the Daring Kitchen to check out the interesting variations and to get the recipes for all the components.

I used the basic sponge cake recipe and adapted the fudge sauce by exchanging brown sugar for the cocoa powder.

For the peach ice cream, I used the recipe from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz.

For the Toasted Almond ice cream, I adapted the recipe from the Amateur Gourmet., basically omitting the amaretto and increasing the ingredients by half.

7 comments:

GourmAndrea said...

Interesting butterscotch peach and almond. Flavors I have never had together at once I wonder if it tasted like a peach crisp? very creative

shelley c. said...

Oooh - love all three flavor choices you made, and I bet it tasted absolutely fantastic all together. You did a great job putting it all together, too - the layers look so straight and clean. Awesome work on the challenge.

Anonymous said...

I love all of your flavor choices - things I never would of thought of to put together, but sound so right! Great job!

Megan said...

So THAT'S what that is! I saw the picture on Facebook but didn't realize how intricate and especially delicious it was. Impressive.

Nachiketa said...

Totally agree when u say time consuming...
what a stunning creation... love the colours and flavours..

Daring Baker - Swiss Swirl Icecream Cake

Cheers,
The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts - Nachiketa
Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

Jacque said...

MMMM, your flavor combination sounds fantastic! My rolls ended up with too much whipped cream as well... I'll use about half the amount next time.

TeaLady said...

I forgot all about this challenge. too much life getting in the way. I love your flavor variations. I think I would like that better than the chocolat.e