Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Cool Sorbet

Many years ago I recall that Baskin-Robbins made an ice cream that combined the flavor of chocolate and oranges. Mandarin Chocolate, I think. Normally, I like my chocolate unadulterated, but I do remember that I liked that particular flavor. So, I went on a search for a similar recipe, and found one right under my nose, so to speak.

Browsing through The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebovitz, I came upon Chocolate-Tangerine Sorbet. Simple and perfect. (And my tangerine tree is loaded with fruit.)


So, for this month’s version of Sugar High Friday (Citrus), hosted by the wonderful Hélène of Tartelette, I offer a cool treat – a little bit chocolate and a little bit tart – served in its own cookie cup.



Chocolate-Tangerine Sorbet
(adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz)

1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups tangerine juice

In a medium, nonreactive saucepan, heat the water and sugar, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from the heat.


Whisk in the chocolate until it's melted. Whisk in the tangerine juice.

Chill the mixture thoroughly, then freeze it in your ice cream maker.

Serve in cookie cups, if desired.

Makes about 1 quart.



SHF was created by Jennifer from The Domestic Goddess. Always fun to see what's being cooked up.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your entry Judy! This could positively be addicting indeed!

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good. I've got to get me an ice cream maker...