Friday, July 16, 2021

Lemon Cruffins

 


 July’s Kitchen of the Month is Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen.  Aparna chose Cruffins as our challenge recipe.  Cruffins are supposedly a hybrid of croissants and muffins, but, to me, their texture was more like a dinner roll.

First set of cruffins was a lemon-flavored, yeast-based bread.  They were very tasty, especially when rolled in lemon sugar while they were still warm.  These were the most successful.


 

 Second set of cruffins, which were actually baked before the first set, were sourdough chocolate cruffins.  No yeast involved here, so sadly, there was negligible movement as well, even though the starter was used right at its peak, and the dough was given ample time to rise.  Guess I’m just a yeast lover at heart.


 

 

Check out Aparna’s cruffins, and the recipe she used.  Hers are gorgeous!  Also, stop by to see how the other Babe’s fared – they made some mighty fine-looking cruffins.

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

hobby baker Kelly said...

Oh I LOVE lemon!! They look awesome! Too bad the sourdough didn't perk, I wonder what happened to it.

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

I love lemon too! I bet your lemon cruffins tasted awesome! Another flavor to try.

I made sourdough ones as well. I let them bulk ferment for several hours and then they rested another 3-4 hours after rolling and shaping. Not to mention the cold ferment I gave the 2nd batch. I like the idea of chocolate ones, but those lemon ones had me at hello even if they are yeasted.

Karen said...

Lemon sounds delicious! I went with yeast too.

Elle said...

The lemon sounds perfect with buttery cruffins. Sorry about the sourdough, but sometimes starters sort of flake out and need to be boosted with some active dry yeast, more frequent feedings, and sitting out uncovered more to capture the wild yeast in the air. They look pretty.

Elizabeth said...

Oh Oh Oh. I saw "lemon curd" and immediately thought, I want that! With the added lemon sugar, they look so beautiful. But so do the chocolate cruffins! (Hmmm, now I will HAVE to buy new clothes - I hope Ms.Big&Tall is open....)

Katie Zeller said...

Oh - Lemon! I love anything lemon....

Katie Zeller said...

I don't often think of rocks being a kitchen tool.... Now I will.
Lovely bread.