Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Potato Focaccine

 


This month, Elle of Feeding My Enthusiasms, was Kitchen of the Month.  The Babes were asked to make Potato Focaccine, cute little miniature focaccias.  As usual, I decided to make the recipe my way.

Issue #1: brewer’s yeast.  That’s a nutritional supplement, not a baking yeast.  I used baking yeast.

Issue #2: flour.  I do not have Manitoba flour, or “0” flour for that matter.  I do have stone-ground “Buratto” Farina Biologica Tipo 2 di Grano Tenero straight from northwestern Italy, which I bought from a local Italian restaurant in the spring when any kind of flour was difficult to find.

Issue #3: mashed potatoes.  I’m a rustic masher.  I boil and mash potatoes with the skin on, using a fork. I don’t want paste, I want texture, so that is what I did.

Issue #4: mixing the dough.  I always mix the yeast and dry ingredients together first, then add the wet ingredients.  That way, I can add a bit more water, if necessary, to make a pliable, non-sticky dough. I’ve never had problems with yeast and salt, primarily because they don’t sit together for a longish period of time. 

Issue #5: forming technique.  It makes more sense to divide the dough into the appropriate number of pieces, then hand roll them to size rather than use a pastry cutter or glass.  This way there is no waste of dough and no extra utensil to wash. 

Just before going into a 350˚ oven, I dimpled the focaccine and brushed them with olive oil.  They baked for about 20 minutes and turned out beautifully.  



 

They were also delicious and disappeared very quickly.  Like certain potato chips, you can’t eat just one.  They are great served as appetizers, with tomatoes, radishes, cheese, zucchini, thinly sliced ham, herbs,or other kinds of toppings.

Stop by Elle's blog for the recipe, and if you bakes these by November 29, you can let Elle know and be one of our Baking Buddies.

 

 Also, check out the focaccine from the other Babes:

 

 

7 comments:

Karen said...

I love all of your topping ideas!

Elle said...

Love the texture of your lovely focaccine. They really can be addictive! Your size is what was called for I think (I was just confused) and shaping them the way you did instead of cutting them out was brilliant!

hobby baker Kelly said...

Beautiful! And now I want focaccine with boursin and cucumbers.

Elizabeth said...

Yay for doing things your own way! Your focaccine look great, especially the crumb!

Katie Zeller said...

I'm a rustic masher too. I haven't peeled a potato in years and don't plan on starting now lol
Your focaccine are lovely!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Beautiful. The texture and crumb looks really good. I went the same way with shaping as I didn't want to deal with dough scraps.

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Your focaccine look great! And what a great looking crumb. I divided the dough into pieces and pressed them out by hand as well. Great minds...