Monday, April 17, 2017

BBB: Kare Pan





Lately, I’ve been having issues with following directions.  Call it creative departure.  Making this month’s bread was no exception.

Babe Aparna asked us to make Kare Pan, Japanese curry balls, for our April challenge.  (You'll find the recipe on Aparna's blog.) These are balls of dough, filled with a curried vegetable mixture, coated in panko, and deep fried.  I almost did that.
 

Upon doing a vegetable check, I determined that I had some but not all of the required produce.  Change number one:  I created a mixture of onions, garlic, ginger, kale, tomatoes, and potatoes, adding the various spices, which I did have.  I thought it turned out well, and there was enough left over to put in this morning’s breakfast omelet.

Change number two:  instead of deep frying the dough balls, I chose to bake them.  I searched for alternative recipes and did find one that gave me the specifics.  It's not that I have a problem with deep frying, but I had so much going on simultaneously that I didn't have the time to stand over a pan full of hot oil, hence the baking option.  I dipped the balls in egg wash, coated them with panko, then drizzled olive oil over each ball.  They went into a 390 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  I started checking them after 10 minutes, then increased the bake time by 5 minute increments until they were golden brown. 




The resulting bread was crispy on the outside  and soft on the inside with a tiny kick from the spicy filling.  As I was tasting them, I could imagine other fillings, both sweet and savory.



If you want to be a Buddy, bake your Kare Pan by the 29th of April, post the results, and let Aparna know. She’ll have the Buddy roundup ready shortly thereafter.  And, of course, check out the adventures of the other Babes.






  

8 comments:

hobby baker Kelly said...

Baked, wow! They look brilliant!

Elizabeth said...

Instructions?? There are instructions???

I'm so glad you baked these! Because I was really curious to see how they would turn out. They look lovely!

And good idea to add kale to your filling.

Karen said...

I'd never know you didn't fry them! They look great!

Aparna said...

It's good to see a baked version, Judy. They look so good. I'm going to try baking them next time I have left over curry.

Lien said...

Your baked balls looks perfect, great to see that is an option too! I wonder if there is a trick to get the filling in the middle (mine was on one side as yours is too), still taste is what matters

Katie Zeller said...

I would bake them, too. I've never liked fussing with all the hot oil on the cook top. Yours turned out lovely and such a perfect shape!

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Creative genius is how I would describe it. I had a little trouble with the deep frying part - since I don't have a wok or deep fryer. I could've just baked them. Brilliant!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Lovely baked! That was my plan ... still trying to get to these!