Friday, June 24, 2016

Babes bake with bran

Southern California is home to a grocery warehouse store that is an excellent source for special items, Smart and Final.    This business originated in the 1870s as a restaurant supply company, and through a series of mergers, acquisitions, and expansions became the store SoCal knows today.  My grandfather drove restaurant delivery trucks during the 1920s and 30s, and did have a working relationship with Smart and Final.  And, just so you know, the company takes its name from two early owners -- Mr. Smart and Mr. Final.  No fooling.  You can read about the history here.  

The point of this is that when I needed a source of wheat bran for this month's challenge, I headed to my local Smart and Final, and discovered some in the bin section.  I only had to buy the amount I needed, which was great.  

Lien had the home kitchen this month, and she asked the Babes to bake a rustic, nut-filled loaf of wheat bran bread.  There was a real variety of finished loaves, using different nuts and dried fruits and different shapes.  It's delicious bread, probably most useful in a loaf shape rather than the boules I made.   



As I'm writing this, I realized that I only managed to photograph one picture of my bread!  It's a good thing I made it awhile back, because life has been super busy lately.  Assisting and relocating a 94 year old parent is challenging at best.  Both of us are still adjusting to a new routine.  I've been told this process takes about 90 days.  Hope we both survive!

I do have some of the wheat bran left over, and I'd really like to try playing with the recipe, making it into loaves and adding some dates or cranberries.

Check out Lien's website for the recipe and instructions on how to be a Buddy.  Not many days remaining!  

.  

4 comments:

Karen said...

I LOVE Smart and Final and had no idea there was a Mr. Smart and Mr. Final! All the best for your parents.

Elle said...

Learn something new every day! Cool about Mr. Smart and Mr. Final and they were clever to take advantage of their names in naming the business, too.

Hope all goes well with you and your parent. Hope you bake the bread again since it sounds like you liked it. Hugs. Change is hard.

Elizabeth said...

Well done, you! Baking this bread (and of course, yours rose beautifully) AND moving an aged P at the same time.

I bow down to you.

Cakelaw said...

Your bread looks great. Hope all goes well with settling in your parent to the new routine.