Sunday, February 1, 2015

BBB Buddy: Chapati



Do you ever have those moments where, if you don't do something creative, you'll just explode?   For me, that situation has been building up for weeks.  My work requires brain-power, but if I don't complement it with cooking or even quilting, my thought processes are compromised.

So, Saturday, I just had to try the latest challenge from the Bread Baking Babes:  chapati.

How hard could these be?  I've been making my own flour tortillas for years, and, since chapati seem very similar, I decided to make up a batch.

I used 100% white whole wheat flour entirely, 1 1/2 cups worth, along with some Kosher salt, and enough just-boiled water to create a pliable dough.  It was very satisfying to spend nearly 10 minutes kneading it into a satiny ball of goodness.

After an hour's rest, I heated up my comal, placed a rack on top of the neighboring burner, then got to work rolling out thin rounds of dough.  




Such a nice feeling to watch the rounds start to bubble and puff.  And, when I moved the first one from the comal to the heated rack, it ballooned up completely.   Nice.




The remaining seven pieces of dough cooked without incident, and I ended up with 8 lovely chapati and a sense of mental restoration.   Definitely something to remember for future crises.

The hostess this month was Elizabeth, but you can visit any of the Babes to see how they fared.

Until next time, happy baking!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Fantastic! I love that they were so therapeutic. As well as tasting good.

Many thanks for baking with us again, Judy!

megan said...

So great to see you posting!

And yes, kneading/rolling/baking is so therapeutic - in fact, I made pizza dough tonight (although the mixer did the work....shhhhh.....)