Tuesday, March 30, 2010

BBD28: Buns


Years ago, when I had just graduated from college and was on my own as an adult, I bought a copy of Betty Crocker's New Dinner for Two Cookbook. I didn't need recipes that made massive amounts of food and this cookbook fit my lifestyle.


To this day, I still use recipes from that cookbook. They have become family favorites, familiar standbys. The book is falling apart, but the contents are very much alive and used.




One of my favorite bread/bun recipes is from this book: Batter Buns. These buns may not be glamorous show-stoppers, but they are quick and easy to make, especially if you want a nice yeast roll with little time to spare.



Batter buns are my contribution the the 28th Bread Baking Day, hosted this month by Rachel of Tangerine's Kitchen, and created by Zorra





Batter Buns

2/3 cup warm water

1 package active dry yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup soft shortening or butter
1 egg
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour

Measure the water into a mixing bowl. Add yeast, stirring to dissolve. Add sugar, salt, shortening, egg, and 1 cup of the flour. Combine by hand, or with a mixer at low speed. Add the remaining flour. Beat until smooth. Spoon into greased muffin cups, filling each a scant 1/2 full.

Let rise in a warm place until the batter just reaches to top of the muffin cups, 30 to 45 minutes.

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm.

Makes 10-12 buns.


3 comments:

Kayte said...

The guys here love buns with dinner...they can put away quite a few. Think I will steal this one from you and give it a whirl here. It does sound nice and easy! Thank you. I still cook from my cooking for two cookbooks as well...when the guys go off to college in 18 months, I will be using them more often again!

Lisa said...

I love batter breads because the quick stir, rise, spoon out then bake is so great when time is short. Your buns looks amazing..love the crumb :)

zorra said...

Never heard before about batter buns. They looks delcious. Thank you for your participation in BBD.