Friday, August 29, 2008

WCC 31 -- Get Your Grill On!

On the California coast, grilling season is really all year round. When I moved out here ten years ago, my outdoor grill was too worn out to make the journey, and I’ve never replaced it, sad to say. I do own a grill pan and a small electric portable grill, but they don’t really take the place of an old-fashioned charcoal briquette outdoor grill. I will have to remedy this situation soon, I think, because there are so many delicious recipes now and it is a relatively fuss-free way to cook.


This month, the Weekend Cookbook Challenge (#31) challenged us to grill. It took me this long to figure out what to do and how to do it, but I feel this recipe is a winner. It’s why I’ll start looking for a replacement grill. A real outdoorsy one.


I was browsing through my stack of recent Food & Wine magazines, not really looking for anything in particular, when my eye caught this title: Grilled Mini Meat Loaves. Grilled? Really? Yep, and they sounded delicious. I had all the ingredients, and I could halve the recipe, so I dug out the portable electric grill and gave them a try.

I had some small fresh mozzarella balls from Trader Joe’s, and they made a nice gooey surprise in the center.


Thanks to Sara of i like to cook for suggesting this theme. It was a challenge to find the right recipe, but I succeeded, and will definitely make these meatloaves again.

No comments: